Need shocks for my Explorer -- Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need shocks for my Explorer -- Help!

zPike00EB

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
I have a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition equipped with the air ride suspension. (I think thats what its called -- I have a switch in my jack compartment).

I desperately need shocks as I can see clean through mine :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Rancho RS5000.. But I saw something that confused me.

Universal No
Make FORD
Model EXPLORER
Beginning Year 1995
Ending Year 2001
Drivetrain 4WD
Ride Height (application) Stock
Shock Position Rear driver side
Application Notes Except automatic ride control.

Two things jump out at me : "Except automatic ride control; and Ride Height - Stock.

Will these shocks work for my explorer, and if not, what else would you suggest?

Thanks for your help
--Pike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked the website and all they have is rear tailgate supports :thumbdwn:

Can I install regular shock and just not utilize the air ride? I have the switch off most of the time anyway.

Thanks for the response

Anyone?

Can you install "regular" shocks and just not use the air ride..?

Anyone?

Can you install "regular" shocks and just not use the air ride..?

While I have never personally tried it, logic says yes. Just disconnect all the air control stuff. The shock mounts at frame and axle end should not be different between air ride and not.

Thanks damarble.

Can anyone else verify this...? I need them soon.

air ride

I have a 2000 XLT V8 with the air ride and you have to buy shocks for that system, nothing else will work. Or tear the entire system out. Go to motorcraft.com and enter your VIN number and you will see the suggested shocks.

I blew out the driver side rear shock this week and the price I got was $600 installed for a new set, and I think the compressor went bad so add another couple hundred and I am approaching $1000, and that does not include the switches and selenoids that can go bad with age. After I puked I began looking into this and the only place I can find after market replacements is ACdelco, but the price is not much different. I found a kit that will allow me to pull out the air ride and switch to a standard suspension system that gives me standard superlift shocks, leaf spring for added load capacity on the rear so I can pull heavier loads and not have it sag, torsion keys for a 2" lift for under $350 (DYI). I was wanting to lift this thing any way.

I was told by a shop I trust you can throw the switch in the back, and install standard shocks, if you want to maintain the current hieght. But, don't hold me too it.

I have had the switch off for monthes, when I tow my jetski and am fully loaded there is minimal sag. I'll also be doing aal soon.

The only thing that makes air ride special is one tube coming from the compressor to the shock, shouldn't I be able to just to remove the shock and compressor and install regular form shocks?

If this would work, what shocks would I want for t/t and shackles for decent offroad performance?

Thanks a lot for your help

That is how I understand it. I believe the compressor is on the driverside beside the spare tire. I took a bunch of pictures to send to the online retailer I am buying my kit from. I don't know much about them, but they have been very helpful, and have answerred all my questions. They want to get a close look at the suspension to make sure there was nothing out of the ordinary before they sold me their kit.

If I am allowed to put this on the board, it is kit -- 101050-13120-SLFRS -- fatbobsgarage.com (it comes with torsion keys, shocks, and leaf spring)

From what I understand from the vendor, it will give you a 2 to 3 inch lift in the front (depends on how much you adjust the new torsion keys), and 1.5 to 2" in the back with the leaf spring. I am going to probably by a shackle from desert rat for another 1.5" in the back to level it out.

I will let you know what happens and if this kit will fit on the 2000 Explorer as a replacement to the air ride.

Back