need some gear ratio opinions

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
3.27s are horrible and should have never been offered in any vehicle with a 4wd system. with that being said i would like to get a lower ratio to help with acceleration, low speed crawl, and to keep my trans from overworking. I only use my 93 for light offroading, running around town, and dont plan on running a tire bigger than a 33. according to the 'gear calc' a 3.73 setup would get me close to factory ratio and 3.73s are very common and ive found quite a few for cheap. my question is.. is 3.73 suitable for what i need? i was thinking 4.10s but have been callin around and used d35 4.10 assemblies are hard to come by around here.

keep in mind im not going to do any hardcore driving like rock crawling or mud bogging, i just like driving trails and explorer-ing areas. any feedback is appreciated!

- Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with the 4:10's if you run 33's. I have 33's with 3:73 gears and it sucks even around town in my opinion, not to mention my gas mileage went down the toilet.

i have 4.10 in my sport trac with 33x12.5r15 and i wish i had 4.56

Do you do a lot of highway driving? I'd recommend 4.56's if not. I'm running 5.13's right now with 33's and I'll admit that's a little extreme. I can still run 70, but its screaming to do it. The good part is I can cruise through town in overdrive (auto trans) with the torque converter locked up and it never downshifts. The milage around town and 55 mph driving has actually gotten better because it doesn't have to work as hard.

If you do a lot of highway, you could stay with the 4.10's but they weren't offered in the first gens, so you won't find a factory front end with them installed. You can get a disk 4.10 rear end and buy aftermarket front gears. That's the route I would take to get the rear disk brakes.

yeah i already had it planned to do a 2nd gen rear disc swap. i do travel the highway frequently, you have to in wv to get anywhere in a decent amount of time. the fact that you cant find a 4.10 D35 is another reason i was thinking about 'settling' with 3.73s. it would be easier.. its a solid ratio. and i dont have the money to buy aftermarket front gear setup.. if i did the front would get a LS unit and thats even more money. well cost effectively wise the 3.73s are looking like the winner.

anyone else running 3.73s with 32s or 33s that can give me some testimonials, advice, opinions? pros and cons poeple, lets here some pros and cons.

- Jack

I'm running 31's with 3.73's and have the 5.0. I really wish I had 4.10's. If you are going to run 32's, or 33's I'd really consider the 4.10's.

...Ranger 4.10's are more common to find just beware of the hybrid 35, (smooth pumpkin)..;)

...I have stock 4.10's in my Ranger running 32's...:biggthump

i'll hafta do some searchin to see if i can find a 4.10 D35 for relatively cheap. the yard i usually deal with said $75 for the front and $250 for a disc rear with cailpers and other brake parts/hardware. not too bad IMO. hopefully by spring ill have everything i need.

thanks for the advice guys

I ran my stock 3.73's with 32's for a year and a half maybe, 33's for another year or more...I hated it. I had to use low range to do anything, and even in low I couldn't spin all four tires when bogged down.

edit: I have my stock 3.73's out of the front diff. They're in good shape. If you decide to go with 3.73 and can't find a geared diff I'll make you a good deal. I also have the complete 3.73 drum brake rear.

I wouldn't bother re-gearing or getting new axles for anything less than 4.10. Spending the time/money for 3.73 is a waste of time in my opinion.
My 97 4.0L OHV automatic had 3.73's and 31's, and it was a dog that way. 4.10's would be ideal with that setup at 31's, especially since it came stock with 3.73's and 29" tires.
Personally I would go with 4.56 gears, it will have the power that it should and won't be overworked.
I run 4.88's with 33's on the SOHC, which likes to rev higher and it's perfect. 4.56 will work awsome for you. I really really feel you would regret 3.73 gears as it won't be much different.

Are you running 33s off of 3.27s?!? Whew! Talk about stress on the drive train! At least your rpms are low on the highway, ha! assuming your transmission can even hold OD at highway speeds.

4.10s for 31s, 4.56s for 33s. And don't bother with an LS, get a locker if you want to be able to actually do something.

x2 on the locker. Do it right the first time and you'll be much happier with it in the long run.

Back