• Register Today It's free!

Need Trans Crossmember help

bprutter

Reaction score
City, State
Chatham, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT Auto, 97 XLT Stick
Ok, I am in the process of dropping my manual trans in my 97 explorer to replace the clutch and slave cylinder. I have followed the instructions on here and in the Haynes manual. I am at the point of removing the trans crossmember. I have removed the two bolts that parallel the frame rails, and the four nuts that hold the center part of the crossmember to the outside part. I also removed the two nuts from the bolts extending down from the trans to the crossmember. At this point, I expected the crossmember to basically drop off, but I can't seem to remove it. What have I missed?

Brian Rutter
97 XLT, auto
97 XLT, Manual
2001 Trans Am, Manual
1978 Trans Am, Manual
1939 Pontiac, Manual.

Most likely when the cross bolts were tightened (the ones that run parallel with the frame) it crushed mounts that are on the frame. I had to tap mine a little with a hammer to get the crossmember out.

Place a jack under the transmission to support its weight - then pry the transmission cross member downwards and away from the transmission. If you have one, use a piece of wood between the transmission and the supporting jack.

Thank you all for your help. The crossmember has been successfully removed. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some obscure bolt before I broke out the Precision Adjusting Tools.

Back