• Register Today It's free!

need wiring harness help

dave robinson

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 explorer xlt 4wd
i am trying to wire a new stereo head unit with a new 16-pin harness and need help identifying the order of the colored wires in the plug (2 rows of 8 pins). i have seen the previous threads for the respective wire color for the various leads for power, speaker +/-, etc. but the colors are really difficult to make out after being in the dash 12 years and some of the colors don't even seem close to the identified colors. the vehicle is a '98 4 door explorer and the old head unit says ford premium tuner model f87f-18c868ce (am/fm/cassette/single cd). i don't think it is a mach unit or have a sub amp unless it is in the unit itself. it has 2 harness plugs in the back. i believe 1 plug is for the rear seat controls and the other plug (16 pin) for the power/speaker/ground leads. if you looked at the wiring harness plug under the dash there are 15 pins in the plug (8 on top row, 7 on bottom row). if someone if familiar with the order of the colored wires in the 2 rows from left to right could send me an email i would appreciate it. thanks

Go to you local car audio shop and buy the harness that plugs onto you factory one. the wires comming off of here will match up color for color with the ones off of the new radio. It will save you a headache of cutting and splicing.

Back