Needing Hub or Hub Bearing Replacement Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Needing Hub or Hub Bearing Replacement Info

cproko_1

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
My stock 2002 4.0 XLT has that annoying clicking sound coming from the front passenger side wheel. I'm pretty positive its the hub bearings. From what I've read this can be a real bear to replace due to the cramped bolt placement. Does anyone have personal experience with this issue? I'm wanting to know if I it's best to replace the hub or can I replace the bearings alone? The dealers are quoting me about $435+ to replace just one. I would prefer to replace both while I'm at it. The main question is how hard is this and can I replace the bearings alone. I appreciate any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cproko_1,
I ain't no expert but I have a 2003 XLT and I asked the dealer the same question and you cannot change only the bearing.....gotta get the whole piece....hub and all......:)
P.S: found an oem wheel bearing on ebay for 135$ including the shipping....where as at my dealer, they were 300$ plus taxes......something you might wanna consider.....cheers :)

Would it be beneficial to replace both front hubs while I'm at it? If so, how much of a chore would this be?

well, as for me, I brought it to my mechanic and I also asked him if I should change both and he said NO....no need.......the other one could last another 5 years!!!! So im changing only 1.......

If you wanna do it yourself....I think there is a sticky in here somewhere showing how to do it....

As for me......my mechanic said it will take him 60-90 minutes to change it.....should cost me no more that 60$ for the labor....

I need to find a mechanic in St. Louis that's willing to knock this job out for me. I'd rather not do this job myself.

Sounds like a good idea.....if you have an email...I could send you a link for a site that sells the bearings for 149$ and they are in the US....and they also have free shipping for you guys in the US.....

That would be great. Can you just send me a PM with the info?

How about sharing that link with the rest of us?

Back