Never would have guessed this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never would have guessed this

jeff spahn

Reaction score
My 2000 Explorer started running very poorly last week. Since I am in the middle of an engine rebuild on my Porsche DD, I couldn't fix this car too.

I hooked the scan tool up and got lean bank left and lean bank right so I narrowed it down and took it to my buddies shop.

He told me could be MAF, EGR or vacuum leak as most likely culprits. He said he'd check it out and call me when done.

I dropped Ex off in AM. Got a call after lunch. They had never seen this cause before. A fly had gotten past the air cleaner and wedged itself in the MAF wires. This shorted out the MAF signal and the computer read super lean.

They cleaned out the fly, no MAF replacement, and car runs perfectly now.

Wonder how the fly got past the air cleaner. Then again, flies get in your waterproof light fixtures so anything is possible.

So, if you get that code, check for a fly in your MAF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, that is a new one...

Yeah, that is a rather odd problem.

That is so weird that is unbelivable...
First, you would have to have a small hole in your filter for the fly achive that.
And then... stuck in those MAF wires? That's like winning the lottery, there is so much space around them for the fly to go!

I know. It seems impossible. I trust my friend. He isn't going to screw me. He called me on my cell when I was at work and I could hear in his voice that this floored him. Never seen it before.

i can only think that when you had your air filter replaced a fly may have landed in the box or something and the ended up on top of the filter when done then decided his life now sucked and commited suicide:D thats insane though hahaha

You would be surprised what can get past your air filter housing...esp with these cheaply made Fords. Ive seen all types of things.

Next time you're bored, pull out your MAF screen and take a look at it.

Back