• Register Today It's free!

New 2.7L Ecoboost

Motoarzan

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
I've been reading some articles about the new 2.7L Ecoboost and that it's going to pump out around 325HP and 375lbs Torque. Quite Impressive for a small block.

Has anyone confirmed if this will be offered in the next Gen Explorer and would it be a replacement to the regular 3.5L V6 or a replacement to the Sport's 3.5L Ecoboost. The 2.7L Ecoboost is less HP but more torque than the current 3.5L Ecoboost.

Lastly. Any chance of Ford offering this 2.7L Ecoboost in the Escape (current or next Gen) as a "Sport" trim level. That would F'ing kick ass!!! In 2-3 years I will be handing down my Sport to the wife and thinking of downsizing to the Escape (commuting for work)... But an Escape "Sport" with a 2.7L Ecoboost sounds really appealing to me if they were to make one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've ordered one as an F150. No build date as this was just placed. The dealer didn't seem to know much about it. The order forms didn't have the specifics. Seems to be more information on the Internet than the dealers are informed of.

The 2.7 Ecoboost will be in the new 2015 Edge Sport, though HP & Torque for it on the Edge has not been announced yet only that it'll be the most powerful Edge yet. The current Edge Sport has the 3.7 Engine (305hp / 280 lb-ft)

I think this would be the no brainer replacement for the Ecoboost 2.0L that does not work well with the Explorer at all. Charging money for less performance? That's stupid. The new line up should go:

Standard Naturally Aspirated 3.5L V6
Optional 2.7L Ecoboost i4
Sport Option: 3.5L Ecoboost Engine

My info is that its coming in the 16 Ex but no ones officially confirmed it yet.....have to wait for November LA Auto Show Im guessing.

The Explorer will not get the 2.7L, but something a little bigger than the current 2.0L.

Please note that the 6 speed auto and AWD components in the Edge, Explorer, and Taurus can not handle more than 350 ft. lbs. of torque without serious damage. Therefore, the new 2.7L will have less than that in these applications. As would be expected, the F-150 can handle much more.

Maybe the new 2.3L from the Lincoln MkC.

Back