Your Best Mileage from a 2.3L Ecoboost? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Best Mileage from a 2.3L Ecoboost?

You wanna get better mileage? Fill it up with the highest octane gas you can find, drive it below 60mph on cruise control exclusively on a flat highway, with the temps around 65-no heat or A/C and keep all the windows closed! No one else in the car with nothing else either. I promise you will get very close to the rated MPGs. If you can’t live with these restrictions, you WILL have to get used to less MPGs. Sorry.
Well as many have already stated they are getting very close to these numbers without those precise driving conditions. I was only inquiring as to why mine might be extremely lower compared to others here. So as much as this post my have been to grab attention, it was not helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn’t trying to make you feel bad, it just gets old when so many people post about less than stellar mileage. I have a 3.5 N/A and I avg about 14 around town and 18 on the road. When I “try” to get good mileage, I can do 19 in town, and 25 on the highway

300 miles or so, but my tire pressure if anything is a point or two high. So I don’t see why it’s so low compared to everyone
As per your Owner's Manual;
The first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) of driving is
the break-in period of the engine. A more
accurate measurement is obtained after
2,000 mi (3,000 km).

Also, if the 2019 is like the others before it, the Instant Fuel Mileage figure is usually on the generous side. Do a manual calculation and see how far, if any, the MPG figure is off. I used the info in this thread to adjust mine. It may or may not work for you. How to: - AFE Bias - How to correct your MPG readout/display

Peter

You wanna get better mileage? Fill it up with the highest octane gas you can find, drive it below 60mph on cruise control exclusively on a flat highway, with the temps around 65-no heat or A/C and keep all the windows closed! No one else in the car with nothing else either. I promise you will get very close to the rated MPGs. If you can’t live with these restrictions, you WILL have to get used to less MPGs. Sorry.

That´s extreme. don´t you think?

A more real world practice would be, fill with premium gas and don´t go past 2k rpms on 6th gear, that would be around 65 mph. You can save tons of gas going 55 mhp, that would be bottom rpms on 6th gear. The trick is, you can save some gas up til 2k rpms on 6th, when you get past 2k the mpg go down exponentially because of the transmission and the air drag of the vehicle.
I have a 2013 XLT FWD with 3.5 n/a engine, the other day I was taking a trip and tried going 50-55 mph, the onboard computer was calculating 29+ mpg!!! If I go 70mph it goes down to around 24.5 mpg. Now, if I go 80 mph it drops to around 21 mpg. It seems pretty linear but it really drops mpgs when you get past 70.

I´ve experienced that premium fuel is a must to get best mpgs. For 2.3 Ecoboost the trick is to stay on lowest boost possible. The thing is that most people don´t understand that Ecoboost engines are either Eco or Boost, can´t have both. As soon as you enter boost, the eco is out. Once you have boost it means more air, requires more fuel so it makes more power.

..........I´ve experienced that premium fuel is a must to get best mpgs. For 2.3 Ecoboost the trick is to stay on lowest boost possible. The thing is that most people don´t understand that Ecoboost engines are either Eco or Boost, can´t have both. As soon as you enter boost, the eco is out. Once you have boost it means more air, requires more fuel so it makes more power.
I've found that even using 91 octane over 87, that the extra cost outweighs any minimal increase in mpg.

Peter

Back