New '97 Explorer Sport- a couple of questions please... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New '97 Explorer Sport- a couple of questions please...

zogg

Reaction score
City, State
Bethalto, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
Greetings to all...this is my first post....

I just bought a 97 Explorer sport with 149,x.. miles in really nice cosmetic condition and runs well...paid $2300, so not too bad.

It does have some rear end noise, but not too awful...I was going to change the gear oil with synthetic 85/140....might help...opinions??

Also, there was no owners manual, and I know Ford was recommending the
5w20 in some older vehicles but not all....this one has the 4.0 engine, so would I be better going with 5w30 or 5w20..

Finally, I am going to change the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid...I am assuming MERCON V would be good for both...correct??

Finally, the radio has a cassette tape slot but it has a button for the tape and one for a CD...I don't see a CD slot in the radio....could there be a remote CD player??? Where might I look??

I really like the little guy and enjoy driving it.....fun to drive.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...also, if you have any other suggestions or opinions, please do nto hesitate to mention them...thanks

Dave:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey congrats!

I switched all my fluids to synthetic but I still have some noise from the rear end. I used 75/110 for the gears (mine is 2WD) and 0-30 for motor oil.
Mine has no remote CD that I could ever find but if you do let me know lol.

welcome dave

Finally, the radio has a cassette tape slot but it has a button for the tape and one for a CD...I don't see a CD slot in the radio....could there be a remote CD player??? Where might I look??
Dave:exp:

It's been a while since i had my stocker in, however. if you haven't looked in the center console, it should be in there. that's where mine is and it's the only place that i know of that you can put one. if you pull your center console (the cup holder part) and you have a plug, you know that's where it was supposed to go. and the previous owner got rid of it for one reason or another.

Welcome to the site, i say use 5w30 in her

i have also recently gotten a 97 sport. the tires(255/70/16) on it look very small and from what i have read the biggest tires that you can put on a stock ex are 31.5x15. correct me if im wrong but the 31.5 are very similar to the 255/70/16. does the sport have a higher suspension and 16"rims or does the 16 inch rims have any thing to do with the tires being smaller?http://
cid_0_0.jpg
this is my x

109782-7-04.jpg

6434okl.jpg

i am wanting my tires to fill out like these do. any suggestions on tire sizes

It looks just like mine when i got it, except i had bug and wind deflectors, but shes still a work in progress

i have also recently gotten a 97 sport. the tires(255/70/16) on it look very small and from what i have read the biggest tires that you can put on a stock ex are 31.5x15. correct me if im wrong but the 31.5 are very similar to the 255/70/16. does the sport have a higher suspension and 16"rims or does the 16 inch rims have any thing to do with the tires being smaller?
The biggest metric size you can fit without any lift at all, is a 265/70R16 in Float size it is 30.6X10.4R16.

That's what i have on my truck currently. and i'm hoping to go to 285/75R16 over the winter.

Goodluck
Justin

Back