• Register Today It's free!

new compressor needed ?

railman

Reaction score
City, State
Madisonville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt Supercab
well, first off the compressor was not coming on, o i thought the refrigerant level was "low" enough to need a little charge so the pressure switch would activate the clutch.

so i hook up my el-cheapo hose/gauge and can of 134A....

after a minute the compressor clutch kicks in and the gauge comes up to the "green" charge indicator....

but, there is still only hot air coming out of my vents....so i bite the bullet and take it to my local shop that i trust.

well, my shop guy hooks up his unit and recovers from the system to a 30 pound vacuum, and then shuts it off to see if it will hold the vacuum.

after it holds the vacuum for a while he starts to charge the system.... well once it is charged enough we start up the engine and the low side jumps up to the 100-120 psi range and the high side is in the same ballpark ( basically equalized )

now my shop guy seems puzzled and is honest in saying that he just normally charges vehicles but never does much on the "hard" side of A/C ( like replacing the compressors et al ) hence why i like the place ( honesty when you are not sure and say you aren't goes a long way in my book )

so, is this a case of a bad compressor, which i would put on myself and have him charge back up, or something else entirely?

sorry for the long post, just wanted to put out as much info on this as i can

thanx for the help in advance, John :cool:

Generally you have described a system with a failed compressor or in an extremely rare case, a blown out or stuck wide open orifice tube.

If you need a "kit", I highly suggest ebay from the user name carcompressors. It cost $235 (OEM Version) and included KIT INCLUDES NEW COMPRESSOR FILLED WITH ULTRA PAG OIL, NEW ACCUMULATOR/DRIER, NEW EXPANSION VALVE/ ORIFICE TUBE AND ALL ORINGS.

Just had it installed this week and works awesome.

No affiation to the ebay seller, just a happy customer.

Back