New Dyno results! :P

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Okay guys.. I just got another dyno test done for my headers! And guess what! 2HP! Yes... thats true... a full 2 horses! For only $600!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Oh well. And get this... My Jet Chip was still making me lose power... however its better this time.. it was only 4hp compared to 5hp. Im going to have to give them a call. What do you think the odds are of me getting my money back? Im thinking next to zero. Sigh. Anyways.... I dont know what to do. What do you guys think? Blah.

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am currious how much power did your Explorer make to the rear wheels?

Oh sorry... I forgot to post my actuall numbers.. 141hp at the rear... thats from 139hp without my headers...

nick

Originally posted by flyguy
Okay guys.. I just got another dyno test done for my headers! And guess what! 2HP! Yes... thats true... a full 2 horses! For only $600!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Oh well. And get this... My Jet Chip was still making me lose power... however its better this time.. it was only 4hp compared to 5hp. Im going to have to give them a call. What do you think the odds are of me getting my money back? Im thinking next to zero. Sigh. Anyways.... I dont know what to do. What do you guys think? Blah.

nick

I think it's just fair enought for them to give you your money back less shipping cost.

Do you think Jet Performance will give me my money back? Or do you think they will say I have to take it to who originally sold it to me? Thats what I think... I bought it from Martel Bros. a long time ago... then upon realizing it wasnt working, sent it to Jet for a replacement... the replacement doesnt work... sigh. Ill call monday and see..

nick

Some advice wanted from you flyguy

I'm about to rebuild my 95 explorer's 4.0 engine. Got any advice on parts I should consider bringing to the shop to ask the mechanic to use?

I am sorry to read of your header dissapointment. I am planning on getting headers but I am planning on doing them at the time of redoing the engine.

By the way, I junked my JET chip in preference for the hypertech. I read the JET was a full open throttle only variety where hypertech went through the entire rpm band and used other variables etc etc--I just don't know where to pull up that information to validate that claim though.

But, if everyone here wants to 'participate' in my engine rebuild here is my goal:

Near standard milage--I'll take a mile per gallon hit or two at max.

I'm not a serious off roader sticking to trails at the most but this is mostly my city and highway driver.

I'm looking for more pep from the green light...

Most I would want to put into it is 4k.

[Edited by Chris A Johnson on 11-12-2000 at 03:12 PM]

Chris Ill throw in my two cents,

Do a stock rebuild with a mild cam( Comp Cams, Cam Craft- or a custom ground based on a mild 5.0 profile) , with the mods you already have I think it would work well. If you need to you can bore the engine .030 over and have some head and port work done, if you dont mind paying for the gas get the later heads to increase the compression which should work well with a bigger cam, and not cost much more than having yours rebuilt(depending on condition). Polish the chambers, and match the ports. Basically saying spend the money on the cam and head work.

cost guesses- these are just guesses based on some prices I paid and then pie-in-the-sky guesses

heads 650- new from vanir assembled
head work 400- polish, port match
cam 550-cam lifters, pushrods
stock shortblock rebuild 1300- gaskets, stock pistons assem.
removal and install 800

Cheaper to change the gear ratios if your looking for some off the line pull- unless you have to rebuild the engine.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks Steve

Do you know off hand what the 95 stock horse power is rated to be and what an educated after result would be?

Just curious. I plan on starting the project on January, first by identifying the parts, ordering them, and have it ready for the machinist. I'll consult with him too.

more guesses

stock was 160hp at the engine,
my guess is that with MAS, TB, a mild cam, headers, cat back and a chip I figured around 210hp +/- 10 or about 165-175 rear wheel hp. A pretty big number considering its about a 30% increase. cant imagine much more, and the numbers might be high.

Remember that when you change the cam, intake etc you move the power band of the engine - up. The cam makes the most difference so start there. The small Comp cams cam moves the power up about 3-400 rpm, larger cams will move the power up even more. You need to consider the gear/tires that you are running and how your going to use the vehicle.

Sorry I didnt post... the email notification thing can be squirly... anyways... Steves pretty much got it... you might want to head on over to Vanir Technoligies... (I think its vanirtech.com ) They have forged pistons, lighter wieght pushrods... connecting rods... the whole bit... I would head over there and see what you can afford. anyways.. I think Steves numbers might be a little high.. but maybe not.. Im not sure how much hp that cam will produce...

nick

Back