New Dynomax exhaust installed today!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Dynomax exhaust installed today!!!

dwcopple

Reaction score
City, State
bay city, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Mounty
Mom and Pop shop cut the third *kitty* off and expanded some 2.5" and custom bent a new midpipe to a DynoMax Super Turbo 17733 2.5" muffler. The muffler was then reduced and the stock tailpipe was retained. All connections were welded and painted and a new hanger was installed in the stock location on the midpipe. Pics are here
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/Mountaineer Exhaust/

I can take more if any are requested. I chose the Dynomax due to its quiet nature and it is only audible when accelerating. It is near stock silent when cruising in 5th gear. MPG improved .3 on the way home (7 miles) from the shop. I am hoping to gain 1.5+ MPG by ditching the cat and long restrictive muffler. I'll keep you guys posted. And I will try to get a sound clip somehow too. All I have is the wife's high dollar Canon camera as our small digicam got lifted on our trip to Mexico... :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_9365.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

17733.jpg

mileage

let me know if it gets worse or better

okay. It better get better ;)

I have the same muffler. Removing the resonator made a HUGE difference, if you haven't already.
"Breaking in" over time will give you a very small gain in loudness, not much more. GL

how do u like the sound

I have the same muffler. Removing the resonator made a HUGE difference, if you haven't already.
"Breaking in" over time will give you a very small gain in loudness, not much more. GL

That is a catalytic converter not a "resonator" and removing it is illegal! Also the OP said the hack, I mean mom and pop shop put a straight pipe in with no spring bolt flange. Over time without some sort of flex piece the exhaust will break somewhere. Not that I know what I am talking about right? I have worked at a muffler shop for the past 17 years.

no breaking, that is what rubber hangers are for. That spring bolt thing does not give any play in the exhaust. It is still flange to flange there. Lay off people cutting out that cat. Tons of owners have done it and it does not affect YOU in the slightest.

Also there is no flex piping between the 3ed cat and the muffler so straight piping the 3ed cat through the muffler isn't going to hurt the exhaust. The 3ed cat is mainly for noise control and to keep the hippies happy. Removing it will not result in any codes or a failure of an emissions sniffer test. In WI where there isn't emissions testing or inspection as long as your under 86db at idle your fine. The law states that your not to tamper with the exhaust to make it louder then stock (ie 86dbs). No a dealership won't remove the 3ed cat but any exhaust shop not in the Milwaukee or Madison area will.

So for the last 17 years you've worked only with OE equipment? Never removed a resonator, or changed the location of a tail pipe??

If you have it's illegal in MI.

MI exhaust law
Section 257.707
(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.

WI exhaust law
Section 347.39
(2) No muffler or exhaust system on any vehicle mentioned in
sub. (1) shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device
nor shall there be installed in the exhaust system of any such
vehicle any device to ignite exhaust gases so as to produce flame
within or without the exhaust system. No person shall modify the
exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle
above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the
vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the
requirements of this section.

There are 50 states in this country and each is going to have their own laws about it. Yea the feds would like everyone to pass emissions tests, but if you can with removing the 3ed cat (which I have seen people here do) then more power to you. Most farm trucks here wouldn't come close to passing CA's emissions tests, but will pass WI's emissions test.

Also there is no flex piping between the 3ed cat and the muffler so straight piping the 3ed cat through the muffler isn't going to hurt the exhaust. The 3ed cat is mainly for noise control and to keep the hippies happy. Removing it will not result in any codes or a failure of an emissions sniffer test. In WI where there isn't emissions testing or inspection as long as your under 86db at idle your fine. The law states that your not to tamper with the exhaust to make it louder then stock (ie 86dbs). No a dealership won't remove the 3ed cat but any exhaust shop not in the Milwaukee or Madison area will.

+1 :thumbsup:

picked up .4 MPG so far but the wife is a lead foot. Fifth gear cruising the muffler is SILENT. As is deceleration when rolling to a stop. It really is only audible when accelerating through 1st-3rd and when stepping on it. Wife says it is too loud when accelerating so I am considering putting a round straight through muffler with tip in place of the end of the tail pipe. We'll see. It would be simple enough to try. I know if I got more pedal time in this truck I'd easily pickup 1-1.5 MPG. She is habitually late though so she is always in a hurry!

Back