• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer just arrived

Rocky4369

Reaction score
City, State
WEST CALDWELL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT
Put in order for '21 Explorer last week in May, from North Jersey. I changed my mind on color, and salesman said no problem because it was before the 6/25 cutoff. He said it would be a while, maybe mid September. Stopped by last week and he pulled up the sticker and gave me a copy. Truck arrived Tuesday 9/21. Got a great deal, with "X Plan" from Mustang Collectors Assoc, plus a promotion from Ford worth around $2000 just for promising to sell my old ( 2014) Explorer to them, plus decent price for said truck. And anyone who thinks these vehicles don't develop their own personality, listen to this; after almost 8 yrs and 177,000 miles, I said to my wife' I'm carrying jumper cables, because with only a few weeks left, this truck will bite me in the butt". Well, like clockwork, Tuesday at noon truck wouldn't start. Good horn, good lights, no noise when turned key. Wife brought my spare keys, no good. Tried to jump it for about 5 minutes, nothing. Trunk was towed into dealer Tues night. Wed morning salesman called, said your truck is here. I said yes, was towed in last night. He said no, your new truck came in last night. At about the same time as my '14 as was towed in.
And, in a final nod, the truck started up perfectly when they looked at it Wed morning. Just to send me a message, like., "after 8 years and no breakdowns, here's a little something for you to think about". Still love the truck. We kissed and made up.
Only problems in 177,000 miles were steering assembly, about $2500, on third set of tires, 2nd battery, second set of brakes ( maybe third on the rears) back up camera not working consistently, one alignment. Always used Mobil Synthetic, after first or second oil change. Cat converters went bad a few years ago but the check engine light went off once in a while, including once within a mile of an inspection station where I flew into , to pass inspection, even tho I was a month early. Light came back on the next day. Replaced O2 sensors but didn't help much. Been driving with check engine on for years but would not have made it thru next inspection next November. Two or three people with computers checked and all said cats were bad. I'm told it's a HUGE job. Oh well...
Sorry for long story but you can't make this up.
Left truck at dealer and going today to clean it out. Not taking any chances. All in all it's been a great truck.

Back