New Guy Checking In

ATron52

Reaction score
City, State
Western Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Greetings boys and girls!

About a week and a half ago I purchased a 2007 Sport Trac. I've been forum lurking ever since, and decided I should join up and become part of the community.

My new baby is a 4.6L, 4x4, Limited in Ford's maroon (Dark Cherry), and I love it. I've had two explorers before - an old 94 tank and a 2002 2-door sport that I rolled on the interstate, but this is something different. She's a real beauty, and the first (pseudo)truck that I've ever owned. In the short time I've owned here, I've already made use of the bed on numerous occasions, and it's safe to say that I'm not sure I could go without a bed again.

At the moment, she's in stock configuration, but over the next few months I plan to:
Install a Truxxx 2" Lift
Replace her pretty worn tires with something a bit beefier
Install a bullbar
Install two axillary lights on said bullbar with in-cab switch
Wire the radio with a 3.5mm Aux. port
Install front tow hooks

I think that that's all I plan on doing right now. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it, as I'm ridiculously novice when it comes to working on vehicles. I plan on learning as I go and getting some real hands-on experience though.

My biggest questions for the time being are 1) Why would a truck come without front two hooks? =( and 2) Will lifting it require replacing anything on a stock configuration such as the suspension or other technical parts whose names I'm not familiar with?

Alrighty, that does it for my first post. I'll try to get some pictures uploaded of it tomorrow or Wednesday! Thanks for reading and any help you may or may not provide. I'll be sure to either update this thread or make a new one to catalog my progress on the upgrades I plan on doing.

Welcome to the forum! Ready to see some pics of the truck and good luck with the future mods, I've done a few myself and its not too bad, if you ever need advice just ask and hopefully can help out.
To answer your first question...I have no idea why our trucks didn't come with tow hooks, I'm guessing since it was based on an explorer frame and they didn't have any, but I really wish we had some!
The second question, I would recommend getting new upper control arms (BTF makes them) to help take the pressure off your upper ball joints, other than that I don't think much else is needed. I personally replaced my tie rods, tie rod ends, lower ball joints and upper control arms when I installed my Traxda (Truxxx) lift/level kit just because everything was already unbolted and exposed and my truck almost has 100k miles. I also just added some 5/16" wheel spacers since I'm using factory wheels to help give alittle offset and more room between the tires and upper control arm.

Back