new guy looking at buying a ranger/b4000 need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new guy looking at buying a ranger/b4000 need advice

CvrnRth

Reaction score
City, State
Erie, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
i used to be a jeeper, Ran with the NorthEastCrawlers.com when i lived in PA and had a 93 YJ on 35" claws.

I moved to Texass and Im currently looking at a 94 Mazda B4000. its got a Superlift 5.5" lift on it and some brand spanking new 33x12.50 Boggers. Its all stock besides that, has approx 140k on it as well. Its a 4.0, auto, PW,PL,Tilt,and Cruise. Trans was just rebuilt 100miles or so ago. Stock gears/Axles/drivetrain otherwise. the guy is wanting $3300 with the new wheels/tires or $1800 with the stock wheels/tires.

My questions are, good deal or not? What should i look for when checking this thing out. how good is this TTB? ive never messed with IFS stuff on a 4wd. Will this thing hold up to some wheeling and abuse?

Heres 2 pics ive got with the boggers
b40001.jpg

b40002.jpg

Thanks for any info!

-Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...my first thought would be look for some used tires and wheels on craigslist in your area...you get 1500 discount and can easily get same size tires and wheels for about half that....let him try and sell the tires and wheels at full price...;)
...as for your truck, it can go just about anywhere and you have alot of options for change, or leave it the way it is....
...you didn't say what miles are on it nor what exactly the gears are??? make sure the 4x4 works or you might have to do some tc motor work...i hope this helps...:D

its got 140k on it. i was thinking of buying it without the wheels and tires as well and looking for some used 35's, because i dont mind trimming some fender. its got stock gears, not sure what they will be, its the 4.0/auto so 3.55s? i have no idea, like i said, not a ford guy at all, i just ran an explorer rear in my YJ, hahaha.

If you're gonna wheel it, and it has the auto trans, you'll want to regear if you go with bigger than stock tires. The auto is the truck's weak link.

...there are gear/axle codes on the door...we have a list here for them...hopefully it has 4.10's min...3.73's or less and if you are going to 33-35 tires, you will want to swap the front and rear gears to 4.56 and that would be a good time to also put in a locker...
...if you get the truck for 1800 as it sits with stock tires, thats a good deal...:D

i think i can get him down even lower than that with the stockers. it needs the exhaust fixed and a pass side window motor installed.... im thinking 1500

Back