New Member 97 Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member 97 Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD

vindicarej

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer AWD V8
Hello all!

New member here, just bought my first Ford Explorer last week and I have to say I am in love!

I'll post some pictures of it and let me just say I have BIG plans.

Its a black 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD with gray interior. Paid $2,500 for it with 120,000 miles on it. Great condition with no mechanical problems.

The only thing was a couple of small issues like: new break pads in the rear, the rear view mirror needed to be reattached, the power antenna does not work, and the carpet was stained by like a gallon of fruit punch... oh and the back doors did not open from the inside.

I fixed almost everything and had it detailed. I even went through and found out why the doors wouldn't open.

I searched online and found a whole slew of people with the same issue I had and everyone thought it was a problem with the child safety lock, however, after I got in there and looked around I saw it was a problem with the door handle themselves.

There is a small black plastic piece that had broken off of both the interior door handles on both sides, to fix I hit a pick-a-part and bought 2 front door handles from a 2000 ford explorer sport and the actually fit and now they work.

I took pictures and want to post a HOW TO on this website so I can help all the hundreds of posts about broken child safety locks on the explorer.

Well that is all for now. thanks for reading!

P.S. I also installed a $3,300 stereo system in it that I removed from my last car. :D

Back