New member and new owner as well... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member and new owner as well...

maxxmalone31

Reaction score
City, State
Placerville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB Mach Audio 4WD,V6
Hello, glad to join this group... i recently picked up a '98 Explorer EB 4wd with the SOHC V6...
This is my 1st explorer... the explorer was one of my favorite vehicles when I was a teenager growing up. Now here it is 20 something years later I finally own my first one. Have owned Ford's before, but never an Explorer... Just happened to pick this one up for $500... It starts and drives and the motor sounds like it has some life to it still so i figured it's definitely worth it, even if it costs me like 2k to get it like i want it to be...
about me: I'm a home/self taught mechanic... always work on my cars, have never taken any of my vehicles to a shop... i just figure it out...
So ill end with that... and move on to find an answer to my 1st or 2nd problem already, of course i didn't expect anything less when it cost $500...

image000000.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, have fun with it

Hello, glad to join this group... i recently picked up a '98 Explorer EB 4wd with the SOHC V6...
This is my 1st explorer... the explorer was one of my favorite vehicles when I was a teenager growing up. Now here it is 20 something years later I finally own my first one. Have owned Ford's before, but never an Explorer... Just happened to pick this one up for $500... It starts and drives and the motor sounds like it has some life to it still so i figured it's definitely worth it, even if it costs me like 2k to get it like i want it to be...
about me: I'm a home/self taught mechanic... always work on my cars, have never taken any of my vehicles to a shop... i just figure it out...
So ill end with that... and move on to find an answer to my 1st or 2nd problem already, of course i didn't expect anything less when it cost $500...

View attachment 422685
Welcome to the Club!!!
I am in the process of doing same thing. "Inherited" from wife's cousin (for $1000) a 99 Explorer XLT, "Only" needed a fuel pump. Well, replaced that Via the trap door trick . Ran ok, but Front end Shook like Crazy.
So one part led to another, and when finished, I'll have replaced the entire front end. Shocks , All 5, yep 5, Trans fluid and filter, spark plugs AND wires, inner fender walls.
What I originally was NOT expecting, The Ex lived underwater for several years. I never saw such a Rustbucket!! Oh, Rear Leaf spring Shackles rusted through, replaced those. Being able to work on it occasionally, due to my schedule, this is a project in process. If you need any pointers, the folks on this forum are Great!! Good luck from Maryland

Welcome.

Back