• Register Today It's free!

New Member Central AZ

Griff Moses

Reaction score
City, State
Chino Valley, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer E.B.
My name is Griff, I am from Chino Valley, AZ. I have a 1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Currently with the 4.0 pushrod and the A4LD. In the process of shopping for the bits and baubles to do the m5r1 swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My name is Griff, I am from Chino Valley, AZ. I have a 1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Currently with the 4.0 pushrod and the A4LD. In the process of shopping for the bits and baubles to do the m5r1 swap.
@Griff Moses
If you can pull it off, you'll be happier with the M5OD. Had one in my '99. But, 2WD. Just be sure you install and new slave/throw-out assembly. If using used parts, it will certainly start leaking not long after you heft that big transmission up and in! imp

Welcome to the forum!

@Griff Moses
If you can pull it off, you'll be happier with the M5OD. Had one in my '99. But, 2WD. Just be sure you install and new slave/throw-out assembly. If using used parts, it will certainly start leaking not long after you heft that big transmission up and in! imp
Ha yeah.Thankfully my wife told me to make it reliable so i am allowed to buy a reman trans and new everything else

Ha yeah.Thankfully my wife told me to make it reliable so i am allowed to buy a reman trans and new everything else
Welcome to the forum. You get any snow there from this last storm?

small dusting but nothing fun. maybe tonight we will get somethinf worth talking about.

I've done a few auto to manual swaps, A4LD to T5 twice and A4LD to M5OD in my current van. I liked the gear spread of the T5 more, lower 1st and a taller 5th.

T5 would be way better but i need to keep the 4x4 working. Dont know of any adapters or tailhousings that would fit

93 up S10 T5 case has the ford pattern, find a 4x4 unit and I've read about people running a ford or jeep T-case with that trans.

T5 would be way better but i need to keep the 4x4 working. Dont know of any adapters or tailhousings that would fit
@Griff Moses
Jeeps back in the '90s used T-5 and Dana transfer case. It might not be too difficult to fit up a Dana in place of your t-case. OTOH, might be pretty involved. I used that scheme when I built my 1970 Bronco with 5.0 HO Mustang eng. and T-5. Had to but Jeep gears for 5th. and output shaft, the Ford supplied gears would not work, different size. imp

I think i will stick with the m5. i feel significantly more confident only swaping the transmission.

Back