• Register Today It's free!

new member central gulf coast Fla

Patrick davis

Reaction score
City, State
New Prt Rchy
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer xlt
hey, just signed up. Used info from site to replace timing chains and guides/gears, all Genuine Ford products, so thanks a bunch already!

I got over 1000 miles and 3-4 weeks out of timing chain repair. then leaving work one night it was making an intermittent metallic clink sound at idle. Drove down the road no problem, a few miles later I slowed to come to a red light and the engine started shaking and loosing power, then died. I was able to start it again but quickly died again like out of gas. Pushed it off the road and had it towed 25miles to home. Scanner was showing cam shaft position code so I bought new cam and crank sensors but no change-wont start. I removed oil filler cap and guess what? No timing chain on left cam gear!!! Cam gear is still on the end of the cam but no chain. I haven't pulled valve covers or timing cover yet but wondering what could have happened?
1-Timing chain broke?
2-jack shaft bolt broke and dropped gear and chain?
3-somehow put either gears on backwards and not aligned? (wouldn't it have made noise), and chain walked off the gear?
4-??????
didn't drive it hard, babied it really. A couple times I revved up to 4500 rpm and nothing broke
I love the way this X ran and drove. I bought it for $450 knowing chains needed replaced-has new Michelin tires even! 172k miles. Also, this X is rather peppy,got 16.8 combined mpg, idle was not smooth, wondering while I have it apart-AGAIN, if I should pull the heads for a valve job? Cam?

So, taking bets to what happened to timing chain. Hoping the right side is ok still-don't feel like pulling motor again! thanks Patrick

Welcome to this forum! Look into getting a low mileage engine.
been looking but all seem to have 100k+ miles on them. don't feel like pulling the engine again-too much extra work, but thanks for the reply and greeting

Back