New Member with Towing Questions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member with Towing Questions!

fullwoodj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT V6 4wd
Hello All,

I'm Jonathan, from OK. I just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT with 4wd and the v6. So far it is soooo very nice, and hopefully will be a great addition to the family!

I do have a few questions about it though... I can't find ANYONE OR ANYWHERE a decent guestimate on fuel mileage with the factory tow package WHILE towing!!! I am relocating with a uHaul trailer (no more than 1-2000lbs) to NJ from OK... I know factory says 17/23 and I am sure I am going to get under that... Thus far my combined mileage is about 20mpg... It would definitely help if someone could shed some light on this!!!

One other thing... Has anyone done any aftermarket lighting on these?! Placement Ideas?!?!? Etc?!

Thanks!!!!

Not enough information.
How big a trailer? How tall and how wide?
Wind resistance matters, not just weight.
I pull a 19.5 ft. travel trailer, 3700 lbs with a Sport and get 11 ~ 12 MPG.

I towed a Uhaul 6 X 12 enclosed trailer (loaded as full as I could stuff it) in May from Tennessee to Nevada (2,365 miles). I have a 2016 Platinum it had less than 3,000 miles when I did the tow. I wasn't in a hurry and stayed around 60 mph. I had 12 fuel fill ups and my overall mileage was 15.916. My best mileage was 17.85 and the worst mileage was 13.05. It towed the trailer great and I was happy with the experience. I towed in the trailer mode.

Hello All,

I'm Jonathan, from OK. I just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT with 4wd and the v6. So far it is soooo very nice, and hopefully will be a great addition to the family!

I do have a few questions about it though... I can't find ANYONE OR ANYWHERE a decent guestimate on fuel mileage with the factory tow package WHILE towing!!! I am relocating with a uHaul trailer (no more than 1-2000lbs) to NJ from OK... I know factory says 17/23 and I am sure I am going to get under that... Thus far my combined mileage is about 20mpg... It would definitely help if someone could shed some light on this!!!

One other thing... Has anyone done any aftermarket lighting on these?! Placement Ideas?!?!? Etc?!

Thanks!!!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I doubt that you will get any kind of consistent figures. There are just too many variables involved when towing. Weight, wind resistance, terrain, driving style, using or not using 'Tow' mode, etc. There are a few threads on towing that you can find using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. Here is one of them; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...de-seems-to-give-horrible-gas-mileage.428614/
As for aftermarket lighting, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking to do. Again, there are several threads on upgrading current lighting and also on adding LED light bars.
Best advice is to familiarize yourself with the use of the 'Search' feature so that we don't end up duplicating info already available. Good luck.

Peter

Back