New Member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crazy Jake

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello! I am a new member, and I recently got a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 5-speed.. It does have a few problems, such as a constant ABS light, and an airbag light, which occasionally blinks... and, recently a check engine light due to an O2 sensor.

However, I am also interested in making light interior modifications, such as maybe installing a CB radio, or a new stereo, or some other occasionally useful interior electronics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a scanner, which is how I determined that the O2 sensor has problems, but no codes show up with the two professional scanners I have used for the ABS or airbag lights.

Welcome to the Forum! What professional scanner were you using? Most like you will have to use a Modis, Genesis or something along those lines to read the air bag code correctly.

I used a Genesis the second time, I can not remember what I used the first time (it was yellow and black, if DeWalt makes one, then that is probably what it was).

ABS light, Airbag light.

Hey Jake, just signed on today myself with this site. Great info here, been looking thru the posts and there is a lot of good information here. Glad to be a part of this. I have a 1999 explorer 4.0l OHV. I have run into a few problems your describing. First, the constant ABS light; Thought it was wheel sensors but turned out to be the sensor on top of the differential, common problem with ford explorers. I changed the sensor for short money. Easy repair, but hard to see. Only one screw on top of the diff and it pulls out. Watch out though, you can strip the screw. Start the screw easy and don't torque it down, bottom out and leave it. As for the airbag light, turn your truck on and watch the airbag light; count the times it comes on. You should get a set of 3 blinks, pause and then a series of more blinks. More than likely your getting 3 blinks, pause, and then 6 blinks or seven. Most likely 6 blinks. 6 blinks is your drivers seat and 7 blinks is your pass. seat side. Mine was the drivers side (6). dis-connect the yellow connector under your seat with the vehicle off. Spray some electrical contact spray which is safe for connectors, I used CRC electronics cleaner. Let it dry and reconnect it after 15 minuets. Hope this helped.

Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for!!

Back