New owner and oil maintenance tools | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New owner and oil maintenance tools

daktari

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Bought a CPO 2018 XLT 3.5 NA on the 5th. 52k miles. Held off on driving it more than a few miles until 3D MAXpider floor mats and other upgrade items arrived. The goodies delivered in the last few days and were installed.
Yesterday, my wife and I made a caravan trip 140 miles away to return my Tesla lease. She likes driving the Ford; its quiet enough with original Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (I'll likely get these again in the late spring) and the ride is comfortable for us. Especially compared to the Model 3. I'll miss one pedal driving and low operating costs, but I'll really enjoy having room in the cabin. Managed 22.1 mpg on the 280 mile trip at ~72 mph. With our local fuel prices, that's $.17/mile compared to $.035/mile in the Tesla. :(

NOT messy oil service: like my previous ICE vehicles I'm buying a Fumoto drain plug, Motorcraft filters and Motorcraft 5W-20 oil as long as it's under warranty. But a filter removal tool is needed. Something cleaner than the normal method. I found the Last Drop Wrench and it looks amazing. Looking at Assenmacher funnels. Which one is works with this engine?

PTU service is scheduled for Tuesday at my independent shop. He'll charge me an hour and parts. Plus, he's going to check the condition of the coolant, making sure it's still got lubricants in there.

Waiting for it to "be in the system" so I can order Ford ESP. Probably nine years worth, which would cover through June of 2027.

The hood has a tiny section of rust building up. Will schedule that too under the 19-2026 TSB. Likely for summer when I'm done working.

hood struts
center console tray
door handle insert
oil

Tranny drain, and refill wouldn't hurt either. Cheap maintenance...

The hood has a tiny section of rust building up. Will schedule that too under the 19-2026 TSB. Likely for summer when I'm done working.

hood struts
center console tray
door handle insert
oil
If the "rust building up" is along the front edge of the hood, then it is corrosion. The hood is aluminum and therefore no rust.
If that is it, you are covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage.

Peter

Back