New Owner with question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Owner with question

eaterb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Just purchased an 2008 XLT 4wd, I love it so far. The only issue I am noting is an odd "rumble" when the car reaches 25 - 35 mph. It eventually disappears when I reach cruising speed. I can feel it in the steering wheel and note a bit of a noise, but it is a hard thing to describe. The vehicle only has 61,000 miles.

Thanks,

Brett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the following:
1. Lug nuts tight on all four wheels
2. Proper air pressure in all four,
3. get wheels/tires balanced

Thanks. I will try that out and report back.

Brett

Check the following:
1. Lug nuts tight on all four wheels
2. Proper air pressure in all four,
3. get wheels/tires balanced

You shouldn't need an alignment yet, however look closely at the wear on the tires to see if they appear to wear evenly. Might want to try a shop that does alignments to have the balance checked, and let them check your alignment also!

Brett: While they're checking those other items out - have them look at your brake calipers and rotors to make sure the calipers are still on tight and that the rotors are not warped and the pads are still OK.

"only 61k" on an 08?! I would consider that very high mileage for an 08. Mine has 15k.

also run your hands flat over the tread front to back or back to front and feel for any high and low spots called cupping which can cause that noise. often happens if the tires had not been rotated regularly.

Just purchased an 2008 XLT 4wd, I love it so far. The only issue I am noting is an odd "rumble" when the car reaches 25 - 35 mph. It eventually disappears when I reach cruising speed. I can feel it in the steering wheel and note a bit of a noise, but it is a hard thing to describe. The vehicle only has 61,000 miles.

Thanks,

Brett

Could it be an out of round tire? How about wheel bearings? I know this is a long stretch, but my 1997 had a recall for noisy front wheel bearings less than a year after manufacture. They replaced them, but the same rumble in the front end was there its whole life.

Currently my 2008 Mountaineer makes a similar noise at similar speeds. But I hear it out of the right rear wheel/tire. No noticeable vibrations though. And only on quiet stretches of road, when there is a curb reflecting the sound back into the car.

Chris

Check to see if you need the tires rotated. Had a Ranger that had a horrible rumble, couldn't figure it out. Took it to the dealer and they suggested a tire rotation, didn't think it would work but said what the hec. An hour and $26.00 later it rode like glass and quiet as new.

"only 61k" on an 08?! I would consider that very high mileage for an 08. Mine has 15k.

haha, yeah, makes me feel like the 80k i've got on my '06 isnt that bad after all...

I would lean toward the warped rotor, considering you don't feel it at low speeds or cruising speeds. I would think a tire problem would be felt at a wider range of speeds.

Do you feel a similar or other sensation if you slow down from a cruising speend and pass back through that range of 25-35 mph?

Back