New power steering problem (leak from an unknown location). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New power steering problem (leak from an unknown location).

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
I'm replacing items that I guess is normal upkeep I need to slow down. I'm doing 6 months of upkeep in 3 weeks. Tonight after oil change window regulars greased door tracks greased pulled a few little dents with hot glue gun.
I drove around the block and shut the pug shuttle down and power steering fluid sprayed out of the vent hose on the steering rack. It's a plastic elbow and that fitting is very lose in the rack. I can't find that part in the book and I don't want to break it any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the top of my rack on the passenger side I have 2 hard lines of steel those are in the write up about equal pressure to make the rack go from left to right. But a little to the left about 2 inches there's a yellow plastic elbow this is held onto the rack with a pushed in fitting and a hard rubber hose pushed on. This pumped out ps fluid on my homonic balancer the sub frame and my driveway. This happened 2 times when I had the van last month I though at first it was condasation from the ac vent or cooling system I was changing and flushing the cooling system.but today I went under the van which was on ramps to check the t case I thought I was it and saw all the oil. I googled this and one mention was if you were at a fast idle and shut down the engine pressure builds up returning to the pump and leaks out but that's the steel line not the plastic vent. I have a dr visit to replace my hip today if I can I'll post the photo of the fitting. Us 58 year olds move slow so it could take a day depending on how I'm moveing
Thank Robert

Main thing,take care of that hip and yourself! Forget the van for a few days. I guess if I had that problem,I would route a hose to a small,removable overflow tank on the inner frame. don-ohio :)^)

Will an over filled power steering pump might cause this. Tonight I pulled the cap off and the fluid is up to the lip of the cap about 1 inch or more above the fill line

Well I got an old turkey baster and remove the fluid an inch or so. My cap has no vent on it it's a solid screw on cap. My vent in on the top of the axle tube with a hose on it. That's were all the oil was leaking from. So far no leaks since I removed some of the fluid. My hip is killing me. I postponed my hip surgery I'm studying for my extra class ham radio test. I have a tec and general so now I'm going for the big one. Anyway I spoke to a member who has turned his Aerostar into a true 4x4 have all my information I got to scrape up about $1,500 for the job.

Sorry about your hip,Man! People really suffer with that. My lil Brother had his replaced. He was limping bad. Take care and don't overdo it! don-ohio :)^)

Thanks mine went bad when I turned 46 I came down with muscular dystrophy. It forced me to retirement. So it's taken 10 years for my body to break down

Try the herbalist route

Thanks mine went bad when I turned 46 I came down with muscular dystrophy. It forced me to retirement. So it's taken 10 years for my body to break down

I work with a guy who has it but is able to function. he's nearly 46 yrs. old. He tried some good probiotics and it helped him 100%.
Herbalists are pretty good at improving your quality of life. It's worth looking into. I just took an herbal supplement called Clear Lungs,extra strength by RIDGECREST herbal.It really helps with my recovery from almost pneumonia over 2 weeks ago.
It's not my place to try to talk you out of hip surgery,Icuff,but there is a great alternative medicine treatment for joints called PROLOTHERAPY. You can access their site I believe at www.getprolo.com
The prolotherapy is covered by most insurances because it was proven effective in a double-blind study.
Here's hoping whatever you choose to do will leave you as pain-free as possible. don-ohio :)^)

Thanks I'll try anything joint fuel worked a little but my body's immune system eats all the calisum protein in makes. So I go every 2 weeks to the cancer institute and I'm treated like a cancer patient. But the kemo I get is built around keeping me bones from shattering and mega doses of calisum and protein in iv form. I was in a wheelchair for 7 years a year and 1/2 ago one day I got out of bed and stood up. I been walking weak since. Well it's been a day and no leaking from the vent. I'm determined to turn my Aerostar into a Komi vw camper van. I figured it's soft core eawd and beef it up some with a better t case a pop top a 2 inch lift and bigger tires. It's only a 6" clearence if I can get 8 that would get me down logging roads and uneven camp sites. I want this before I'm back in the chair forever. I get about 16 hours before I crash so wrenching is pt for me thanks to everyone I been picking josh head heavy since he's done this

Email the doctor on the prolotherapy site.He might have some pointers for you. He sees all kinds of patients at his office in Chicago. don-ohio :)^)

Back