• Register Today It's free!

New Radiator Leaks...

1996xlt

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Impreza Sport
Its been a while since I last posted, partly because the truck has been running great with no issues. As it creeps toward 150K and paid for I'm having to replace a few things(most of which are originals.) Next on the list is a 130amp alternator from a 5.0 explorer, isn't it a direct swap? No wire swapping a such?

Anyway on to the probelm at hand: had a slow leak from the radiator where the trans cooling lines pass through the radiator, so my dad and I replaced it on Sunday 1/18/09 (fairly easy by the way.) Got a replacement from Advance Auto, only to find out today that where the plastic tank crimps to the radiator core leaks and did so all the way to work and into my parking spot when I got out of the truck. Didn't leak after we put it in and didn't lose a drop that I could tell yesterday or this morning while it was warming up, so it must have let go on the way.

My question is; are there any aftermarket radiator brands to stay away from? I've already called and they will have another waiting for me when I get there(Limited life-time warrenty) or do you think I just got a bad part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would chalk it up to a bad part providing you didn't damage anything when you put it in.

Took it nice and easy, the new one went in just as easy as the old one came out.

Replaced for the second time now (the T-stat too), let's see if she holds...

However, I did find out where it was leaking from it was split in the plastic about 3'' down from the top trans cooling line half the distance to the bottom fitting. Would tightening the bolts at the mounting points to tight have caused this?

Back