New to Sport Trac but not Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to Sport Trac but not Explorers

N2FORD

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kingston,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4wd
Just wanted to say hi to a different section of this great website. I have been on here for years, but don't post much. I have had a 91 4dr 4wd, 93 2dr 2wd, 96 4dr 2wd V-8, 91 2dr 4wd and 95 4dr 4wd. I have also had many Rangers and F series trucks. Now I have bought a 01 Sport Trac 4wd. I plan on getting it on 33's can't decide which method of lift to use. I have done both body and suspension lifts over the years and would like advice on both. I know that the Sport Trac is basically a Explorer but there are some differences and am glad to see a different section for them. Thanks, David

A bodylift is cheaper but you run into several issues, including that the tow hooks will no longer fit. I'm more partial to suspension lifts. Superlift is 4" and costs about $1800. You can fit a narrow 33" like a 33x10.50-15 or 285/75-16 with just a torsion bar lift in front and Warrior shackles in the rear. I run 32's with that and there is plenty of room.

Thanks for the response, I have wondered about the bumpers and tow hook area. Since the bumper is made in with the grille how does that work with the body lift. I have a set of 33x12.5x17's I am planning on running. I am not sure what wheels or with what backspacing I will run yet either. I may try the TT/add a leaf/ shackle first and see what it gets me.

Since the bumper is made in with the grille how does that work with the body lift.
You have to cut ugly notches in the lower bumper for the tow hooks if you want to keep them. The tow hooks are mounted to the frame and don't move when you lift the body. I'm thinking if you ghetto rig some square tubing to raise the tow hooks then they won't be nearly as strong and likely downright dangerous if you ever actually have to use them. Heavy suckers and I wouldn't want one flying at my head if it broke off.:salute:
That said, there is a member project at www.mysporttrac.com about
putting a winch behind the bumper, where the author says that it probably won't fit without a bodylift. So that's an alternative.

Back