New to the site, but not Explorers.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the site, but not Explorers..

John Wayne

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS V6 4wd 5spd.
..my name is Benjamin and new to the site. Have had two 1st gen 4wd X's, two 2nd gen 2wd the '97 was totalled on Feb 3rd. I was ran off the road on a snowy hwy and rolled:roll: it 3x. It landed on the wheels still running, I shut it off and checked myself out. The bulk is it was totalled out after I had just sunk $8,000 in it as a prerunner project, 5.0, Deaver spring packs, 9" rear fully gusseted, chormally axles, Camburg coilovers w/piggyback rezi's, upper and lower controls arms, shock hoops welded to lateral strut brace over motor, Smittybilt SRC tube bumper for a Wranger fabbed for bolt on.... etc too much to list. Sorry for rambling but that was my baby and that accident almost killed me. Once is enough thanks to Iraq, anywho. I have since bought a '02 XLS V6 4wd 5spd with 69K on it. My plan is to make it a trail ready rig with fabbed sliders, bumpers and suspension. Just purchased 16.8 OMF reinfroced rims and a Warn winch. Well I guess that is about it hope to make some new friends and get some 3rd gen discussions going. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear ya made it out of both situations ok! You have any pictures of the truck before the accident?

Welcome To Explorer Forum! Not too many 5spd 3rd gens out there, and the one I do know of on this site is 2wd only. Good luck building your 3rd gen, search the site your sure to see plenty of ideas. Sorry to hear of your accident, but you're alive and your Ex kept you alive.

Hells yeah like a tank

Welcome To Explorer Forum! Not too many 5spd 3rd gens out there, and the one I do know of on this site is 2wd only. Good luck building your 3rd gen, search the site your sure to see plenty of ideas. Sorry to hear of your accident, but you're alive and your Ex kept you alive.
DSCN5829Small.jpg

The suspension has been removed and stripping the rest off.

http://
0302111359.jpg

These are before I did the torsion bar too coilover swap and taller springs.

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear ya made it out of both situations ok! You have any pictures of the truck before the accident?

With a 3" suspension lift, the spare is mounted on a Fabtech pickup bed mount in the back of the truck. You know the drill... stuck...in the mud/snow whatever on the side of the road and getting that spare might not happen. Putting it in the back keeps it easy to get out, the rubber fresh and secure. The bracket comes off if need to load big stuff
Slowlygettingthere.jpg

Smittybilt SRC tube bumper fabbed to bolt up just like it would on an '87-06 Wrangler with D ring mount under hitch and 14g metal bracket to except the stock license plate lights.. used only one but an LED and that was plenty, the other was removed and sealed for a backup.
perfabbedlicensebracketandD-ringblockunderClassIII.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
Wow! Good to see you survived that accident!
And another manual third gen! :thumbsup: Great to see more of those around here. Good luck with your 3rd Gen Explorer and see you around the 3rd gen section.

EDIT: Nice pics (above). That was once nice looking 2nd gen! :thumbsup:

That truck looked nice. That shifter is pretty tall for the Ex....is that comfortable where its at?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Thanks

Thank you, I came out a lil banged up but she landed running on all fours. After getting out and pry the hood open nothing had leaked except the washer fuild. Still ran like a champ... At least somebody is going to get a low mile motor and or tranny that was well taken care of. I bought new before I joined the army.

Back