New to the X (well 4x4 really) - from Western, MA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the X (well 4x4 really) - from Western, MA

User675438756

Reaction score
City, State
ware ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
Hi guys and gals, my name is Jim I picked up a 92 ex sport a few months back... I am really looking forward to getting it out on the trails. I will be taking it off the road to do some work to it in the spring but I hope to have it ready for late summer early fall. so I just want to say hi to the locals...

oh ya and I have a question about mass lift laws... I was wondering if anyone knew what law is right - the "formula" or 2" above stock I have found sites and people in forums saying both... ad do they really care as long as you keep it within reason...

thanks in advance
Jim - Ware, MA

truck.jpg

exsnow.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, Glad to see ya! We are a great club. Things are slow right now. But some summer we should be doing more. We are planning on going to the $ Wheel Jamboree in Essex Jct VT this summer.

Hi Jim,

Welcome!! Nice to see a new face.

Remember that the search button is your best friend, and watch out for that pesky mod bug, he'll bite when you least expect it :D

the lift law for ma is some formula like track/wheelbase*2000 or something like that, search for it on google.

Scott

I have searched and I come up with sites that say the formula is Wheel base x track width / 2200 (+1" for variance) also have found people saying 2" max up or down...

JimofWare said:
the formula is Wheel base x track width / 2200 (+1" for variance) also have found people saying 2" max up or down...

That sucks!!!!!

Welcome to the site though, hope we don't inspire you to break that law to dramatically :D

I have seen pleanty of lifted trucks in MA. Any way you are is western MA which is more like NH. Just don't attract attention to your self and you will be fine.

The MA lift law (this is the correct law) is (the wheel base x the wheel track) / (2200). The number you get from this formula will equal the legal amount of mechanical lift you can legally have.

That's the law, I have seen several trucks that must exceed the formula running around MA.

Hi Jim and welcome to the site.
The formula Scott supplied is almost correct (they allow 1.0" variance) . It is Wheel base x track width / 2200 (+1" for variance) so my calc (for a 4 door) is 111.9 x 70.2 / 2200 = 3.57+1 = 4.57"... I cannot imagine getting pulled over for a height violation unless it was grossly obvious. In Aug 05' I had called a local spring shop to have spring perches welded on for a SOA 6" lift. The manager cautioned me saying enforcement of the lift law all depends on the town you live in. If the local police don't enforce it your fine...But if they do you could be in for some $$ trying to get your vehicle legal again. I decided against the 6" lift and bought a 4" Skyjacker II kit which I will be installing this Spring.

thanks everyone. I see these huge trucks around too. I am only worried about getting through inspection. after that I could care less.

Back