New UK Member, 2000 North Face Problems with Self Levelling Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New UK Member, 2000 North Face Problems with Self Levelling Suspension

Mdrinky

Reaction score
City, State
Nuneaton UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, North Face
Hi Guy's,

I am new to this forum, and a new Ford Explorer owner.

Just for the record, I have a 2000 (X) North Face Explorer, with LPG in very nice condition, With 80,000 miles on the clock.

Having owned my Dora since Christmas, I have noticed a few little niggles that she has, Although I love the car and love driving it.

My main problem, is that the suspension light comes on after about 25 miles of driving. Nothing changes about the car, it drives normal and has no knocking or anything.

I have read some posts on here advising owners to check the compressors working and the solenoid works, I just need some personal guidance on this, I have been underneath and listened for the compressor and it definitely works, but I cant see anything in the way of body lift ?

I also have a knocking coming from the front O/S suspension, but cant find anything loose or with play in, any ideas ??

Best Wishes and Thanks in advance.

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome
For the suspension have you found the ride height sensor?
It is forward of the spare and attache to the underside of the car and the axle. It has a sensor with a rubber boot and a ladder type bracket thing, both of which are attached to ball joints at either end. If these are both still attached then next check the air line where it goes into the shocks. These are just pushfit connections so push and pull the lines to make sure they are seated. Next you could try to spray washing up liquid/water mix over the lines and up into the shocks to see if you can spot any air leaks.
My impression is if the pump keeps kicking in and out even when parked then there is prob an air leak. In other posts it mostly seems it is the shocks leaking. If your handy with the spanners chrisquelch on here can sell you a couple of used ones for cheap and you could change them out.
On the front suspension noise could be drop links. My guess tho would be lower ball joint. Are you getting a little more wear on the inside edge of the tyre? If so def the ball joint.
Lastly come say hi to the guys in the UK section. On the front page go down to the clubs and land issues and there we are.
Regards
Jan

Back