New Winter Tires Diameter Change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Winter Tires Diameter Change

I did the same thing. I bought my wheels/lug nuts/spacers at 1010, my tires at Canadian Tire, my TPMS at amazon.com, and got them installed at the Ford dealer. This was over a year ago, when nobody could confirm the official sizes of everything because 2017 was still so new.

One interesting note -- you can skip the wheel locks because the caps hide everything behind a hex nut. Also be careful using power tools to put them on. My M18 Fuel at the lowest torque setting was still so powerful, I slightly cracked the plastic cover due to instant overtightening. Hand tightening would be more prudent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah same... it's so much flipping cheaper, like 100's cheaper to do it that way.... just a whole heap more annoying lol. Planning to get my tires from Town Fair which is a CT based tire store as they are about $100 cheaper inc fitting etc but don't want to show up without all the bits. I looked at Ford as I have to go in for a 60k service after this but theirs looked like $100 and something to fit which said a big no. I'll let them know to torque / tighten carefully. I am aiming to eventually do these myself when my new garage is built so great to know.

I shot 1010 a mail too.. will report back, hopefully they'll tell me the spacer dimension

I shot 1010 a mail too.. will report back, hopefully they'll tell me the spacer dimension
Being in the U.S. wouldn't tirerack.com be a better place to go. 1010tires.com is a Canadian company. Not sure how prices would compare.

Peter

annoyingly tirerack doesn't sell those wheels. 1010 had good prices but cheaper in the US

have a reply for anyone else wanting these wheels and wants to do it the hard way ;)

Hub centric rings would be recommended.

Outside diameter: 72.62
Inside diameter: 63.36 (or 63.4)

I took a quick look and amazon.com does sell this exact wheel. Unfortunately not in the correct size. Btw, for your records, here's the precise 18" size I ordered the wheels. It's a multi-fit wheel but you want the 5/114.3. It also fits 5/108:

Winter Rims Touren TR9 (Matte Black) Wheels 18" x 8" 5/108(5/114.3) 40 72.62
Item #3190-8814MBw

annoyingly tirerack doesn't sell those wheels. 1010 had good prices but cheaper in the US
Don't forget you can't compare dollar for dollar. Today your dollar is worth 1.27455 Canadian. Not sure if you took that into account. For some reason the Ford Interceptor and Winter wheels are about 2.5 times more expense in the States. Not sure why that is. There have been members coming across the border to buy them to take back home. I guess that doesn't apply to other aftermarket wheels. Good luck.

Peter

They had 18" TR9's on Amazon for $120 a pop (wrong spec though)... and free shipping, so that would have been a great deal for the Americans. I still buy stuff in the states and bring it back... but it's still hit or miss. I do a lot less of that now though because I can't be bothered unless I'm saving a bunch of money or buying something I can't get in Canada such as the Schiit Stack.

Don't forget you can't compare dollar for dollar. Today your dollar is worth 1.27455 Canadian. Not sure if you took that into account. For some reason the Ford Interceptor and Winter wheels are about 2.5 times more expense in the States. Not sure why that is. There have been members coming across the border to buy them to take back home. I guess that doesn't apply to other aftermarket wheels. Good luck.

Peter

Yeah in fairness 1010 does quote in USD too - it's an option on the pricing as you navigate the site. I ended up getting mine from LA with free shipping was like $40 USD less per wheel when you factor the ship.

Just my 2 cents..I also switched my wheels/tires for the winter on my 17 Sport..my buddy found a set of used 18" Steel Interceptor Wheels in Upstate NY for me. Bought a set of 4 TPMS35 F2GZ-1A189-A sensors on Ebay for 69.99. These are the "Auto-learning" sensors that don't need to be programmed because the truck's computer recognizes them. Bought the short lugs from rockauto.com DORMAN 611199 and found the wheel caps on Ebay as well. As far as tires I went to Costco and purchased the Michelin Latitudes X-Ice xi2 245/60/R18. I want to paint the center caps matte black before I put them on. Any suggestions or recommendations as far as powder coating them vs Plasti Dip?? Will post picks soon!!!

Just my 2 cents..I also switched my wheels/tires for the winter on my 17 Sport..my buddy found a set of used 18" Steel Interceptor Wheels in Upstate NY for me. Bought a set of 4 TPMS35 F2GZ-1A189-A sensors on Ebay for 69.99. These are the "Auto-learning" sensors that don't need to be programmed because the truck's computer recognizes them. Bought the short lugs from rockauto.com DORMAN 611199 and found the wheel caps on Ebay as well. As far as tires I went to Costco and purchased the Michelin Latitudes X-Ice xi2 245/60/R18. I want to paint the center caps matte black before I put them on. Any suggestions or recommendations as far as powder coating them vs Plasti Dip?? Will post picks soon!!!
You should have gone with 235/65R18 which are an exact match for the 255/50R20 with 0% diameter variance. The 245/60R18 tires have a diameter variance of -1.5%
255/50-R20 vs 245/60-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
255/50-R20 vs 235/65-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Peter

I was concerned that I would lose handling with the narrower tire. I had the center caps powder coated in semi-gloss. Will follow up with pictures.

0C9A1DE7-0E7C-4A73-B9DA-8F230B6EB228.jpeg
Had mine on for about 3 weeks now, very happy with the wheels / tires, they already got me through some nasty weather well. Bearly notice any difference to the handling so like the 235s. Had some disasters in fitting them - the tire place wouldn’t fit the damn wheels as I didn’t buy it from them (lame) and they failed to check all the TPMS sensors, one had failed but now I’m happy. Thanks for all the help, if anyone else wants the wheels check out eBay - Aspire motoring in LA. Were far cheaper and were very helpful / responsive.

View attachment 154031 Had mine on for about 3 weeks now, very happy with the wheels / tires, they already got me through some nasty weather well. Bearly notice any difference to the handling so like the 235s. Had some disasters in fitting them - the tire place wouldn’t fit the damn wheels as I didn’t buy it from them (lame) and they failed to check all the TPMS sensors, one had failed but now I’m happy. Thanks for all the help, if anyone else wants the wheels check out eBay - Aspire motoring in LA. Were far cheaper and were very helpful / responsive.
Nice wheels! They look familar ;) Just remember if you switch them yourself, don't use power tools on the lug-nug cover. They are plastic and easily break. I cracked one of mine, but it's still fine.

I found some good, cheap Himalaya studded 265/60r18 locally ($160 with maybe 10k miles on them), so I'm going to try those on some 18x7.5 +42 Raceline wheels from Les Schwab. I wanted 8" wide but they didn't have them on-hand, and assured me 7.5" is fine for 265/60 tires. We have some concern that the wheels will clear the calipers on the front, but it seems like they will.

One thing I noticed when looking at 20" winter tires, namely 245/50r20, was that their load ratings were all 102 and I didn't want to go lower than the 104 stock. I see the 18" 245/60r18 tires like the X-Ice have 105 load rating, so that's good. Once I wear out the 265/60 Himalaya's, I'm probably going to go to 245/65 or 255/60 for my 18" winter wheels. Or, if there isn't enough room in the wheel-well with ice build-up, I might go for a little bit shorter tire like 245/60r18.

Just wondering if anyone has feedback for putting 18x7.5's on a 2014 Limited. Either way, I'm about to go try it and will let you all know what happens. Maybe I'll post a pic or two.

Update: They work well on the ice and look decent. Quite a bit of bulge since it's a 7.5" wide wheel, but it's fine.

2TtXngO.jpg

IuOUTHN.jpg

PxVgRFq.jpg

VO9QRYM.jpg

Many members have used 18" wheels to replace 20" ones mainly for use with Winter tires. Also, if you want them mainly for snow, then a narrower tire is better than a wider tire which would increase resistance. Studded tires were banned here in Ontario years ago except for Northern Ontario.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to thank you all for the discussion on this post. I traded in my 2014 with 18" wheels for a 2018 that has 20" wheels. Was going to put my barely used 245-60R18 109h xl snow tires on CL, and then thought, hey, let's check to see if I can use them on the 2018 if I bought rims. Never thought about the TPS, so that was some good info. And, of course it is good to know that I shouldn't have any problems with the change over.

Back