• Register Today It's free!

newb question

mikehawk

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB 4x4
I have a 91 eddie bauer 4x4 with a bone stock 4.0 ohv engine. I'm not familiar with this engine, so any input is appreciated. What is the stock redline or shiftpoints for this SUV? I wasn't expecting a high RPM performer or anything out of the 4.0 ohv, but I mean, when I go WOT it only shifts at 4400, and it seems to take a long time getting there. Is this typical, or is there someting wrong with my engine? I just gave it a serious tune up: new plugs & wires, changed the oil & filter, cleaned MAF sensor, replaced the LIM gasket, fuel rail gasket, UIM gasket, valve cover gaskets, fuel injector o-rings, ran a double dose of fuel injector cleaner, replaced the air filter, vacuum lines, and t-stat. Ir runs a lot better after all that work, but still, I'm a little worried about the motor. Is it normal for it to fall on its face after 3000 or 3500RPM and shift at 4400rpm?

I was thinking about getting a kkm intake and flowmaster catback, but if the engine is done for, then it would be a waste of money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The redline is 4900rpm. I believe the fuel shuts off at the same rpm. As far as power goes, how many miles are on yours? Mine has 112K, and has good power all the way to 4000rpm. When I say good, I mean good for an engine that only has 160hp stock, which mine is. Can't tell you where mine shifts at WOT, because, like you said, it's an OHV engine. Not designed to rev, just make good reliable power and low end torque. I let up on the gas at 4000rpm, and never floor it. A4LD plus 5K rpm=BOOM! HaHa!

I'm not really sure how many miles. It looked like a 5-digit odometer, and it was showing 80k, but there's no way to tell how many times it's rolled over. I bought a 15 year old truck two weeks ago, and I'm still trying to "get to know it."

So, it's supposed to hold out until 4900RPM? It revs up really nice in neutral, but when it's in gear with a load on it, it's a bit of a slug after 3500RPM. Do explorers have common problems with clogged catalytic converters? A clogged cat would definitely choke the life out of a motor in the higher RPMs.

HappyGilmore said:
an intake and cat back will open it up nicely after 3000 rpm. will be a bit louder though.

Yeah, but I don't want to throw $300 in aftermarket parts on the truck if there's something wrong with the motor. Kinda why I was asking if it's normal for the 4.0 ohv to only hold gears out to 4400RPM, and run out of breath around 3500RPM.

These trucks were not built for performance. 15 yrs and dont know the history, she might go at 4900.

I'm not positive but I belive the shift modulator is what determines the WOT shift point along with the valve body..

Glacier (along with a few others) can explain it better (what determines the shift point).

As already metioned these are torquey motors, not high hp. I know my best hp "feels" like its around 3000 but I don't remember noticing it dropping off tremendously at 3500, but I'm hardly ever there.. In my case My WOT shift is only 4500 or so (sometimes less depending on my tranny temp) but I'm running a 700r4 transmision.

~Mark

TOTALY NORMAL.

The X is not a speed friendly machine. At least not stock, & with the stock A4LD auto tranny.
Your welcome to drive mine if your in the Boca area to compare. PM me.

I'm not really sure how many miles. It looked like a 5-digit odometer, and it was showing 80k, but there's no way to tell how many times it's rolled over. I bought a 15 year old truck two weeks ago, and I'm still trying to "get to know it."

Do a CARFAX report.........you can see the mileage that the old owners (no names) registered as they changed title on the vehicle w/ their state, it will show the progression of the mileage over the years..........and you'll get an idea of how many times it has turned over.

But, IF it was registered only a few times you might not be able to tell (can't be sure of the mileage progress).

Aloha, Mark

I did the throttle cable zip tie fix, and adjusted my kickdown cable and the explorer is feelling healthier. Still not a performer, but it defintely feels better. I guess my tb wasn't opening all the way before and it was killing me in the upper RPM.

I went ahead and ordered a bumper guard from jc whitney today as the first mod. Should be here in a week or two, can't wait

Wow, just calculated my mileage on the fist fill-up and I got a whopping 11.9mpg. The x is definitely NOT going to be my daily driver. But, to be fair, this wasn't typical driving. Lots of idling, lots of revving, and a few WOT runs, and I need an alignment.

Back