Newbie here and to Explorers. Major Exhaust Problem on 99 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here and to Explorers. Major Exhaust Problem on 99 Sport

flagg79

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this forum and to Explorers. I love my Ford so far! Last week, I bought my first used 1999 2 Door Sport with 183,000 miles on it. Today I took it to the shop because of a thumping sound present when I braked hard, right before the car came to a stop. I thought it was the brakes. I was wrong and was told I needed a completely new exhaust system. Parts and prices that the shop told me I needed:

2 Catalytic Convertors
(front and back. Didnt know the car had to): $550 and $525

Muffler: $165.00

Tal Pip with resonator: $157

All this plus labor. I am a mechanical idiot and wanted you guys to let me know if these prices sound right. For now, they did some spot welding and repaired muffler hanger. The sound is gone but I was told I would need to replace the exhaust system within 6 months.

Am I being ripped off? Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Thank you all again.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YES...big rip off!!!

You can buy an aftermarket exhaust that will give you better performance and still pay less.

For $550, you can about buy everything. Down here in the south we have shops that will custom it all for that price.

thanks for the replies. I thought the price was high. I just wish I knew exactly which parts to get, I didnt even know the car had 2 catalytic convertors. Does anyone know exactly which types of those parts I need so I can order them online and have someone put them on?

Thanks yet again.

welcome

If you crawl underneath the truck, you can inspect the exhaust pipes(s) and converters. Find out what you need and go from there.

It's unlikely your cats are bad.... How did they come to the diagnosis? Is the check engine light on? Is it running poorly? It's impossible to tell if a catalytic converter is bad simply by looking at it.

Muffler and tail pipe? Sure, maybe they're needed... it's entirely possible you had a broken hanger... But it's unlikely the entire exhaust system is rotting out. My first muffler went at 89,000 miles, but the tailpipe was still solid all the way back. $100 for a muffler (flowmaster) and $50 for installation and it's been running fine for the last 80,000 miles. (Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that)

-Joe

At 183K, I would say there is a good chance the converters should be replaced. If so, you can buy a direct replacement from Walker or Eastern for appx $275 through Rock Auto. Muffler is about $40, $15 for the tail pipe. That's less than $350 for the entire exhaust system...and you should be able to replace it yourself. If not figure 1 to 2 hours for a shop to do it.

You know, while you're at it, if it hasn't been done already, you might as well change the O2 sensors too. Especially if they are original or have close to 100K on them.

Not trying to turn this into a personal attack, although in hindsight, it may sound like it, so please don't take it personally... I just don't understand how you came to these conclusions?

At 183K, I would say there is a good chance the converters should be replaced. ...snip....

Why replace parts that aren't giving any indication of failure? Personally, I can think of a lot better places to spend money on an Explorer. Catalysts don't just up and fail... If they were bad, there would be smells, excessive heat, and/or rough running associated with them. Also, if they were not functioning properly (i.e. not burning off oxides the way they should) there would be a check engine light with an associated code relating to catalyst efficiency. He's given no indication of either being a problem... so I would ask again:

Why replace something that ain't broke? Mileage alone?? Police cars can go 300,000-500,000 miles with no catalyst change... why does his Ex need it, and how can you come to that conclusion over the internet? How can a muffler shop predict that the cats will likely go bad in the next six months? That's a ridiculous claim...

You know, while you're at it, if it hasn't been done already, you might as well change the O2 sensors too. Especially if they are original or have close to 100K on them.

The O2 sensors do not wear out either. If the readings were out of range, they would also throw a code. If they were malfunctioning, they would again throw a code. If they're not indicating that they're bad (i.e. no codes) and the vehicle is not running in a manner that could be attributed to an erroneous O2 sensor reading, why would you change them?

Do you also recommend changing the timing chains because they 'could be about stretched out??' Or do you suggest replacing the starter because it could go out on him? What gives you any indication that they 'should be replaced' if it's not showing any signs of being worn our or malfunctioning?

The O2 sensors do not wear out either.

Oh...absolutely they do. No doubt...no questions, not even close. And I will prove it to you any time you want. Just look at the cross counts on a new one compared to one with say just 50K on it...let alone 183K. It will amaze you. They wear out and they should be replaced.

Yes...there are things that should be replaced because of mileage. Timing chain? Well...that's up to you. When do you want it to fail on you? How comfortable are you with it with say 250K on it? It's personal preference. I would change mine. It's up to you whether or not you want yours changed. I will say this...I've seen chains so bad at 75K it was scary. Just replacing the chain and gear brought the cam back advanced and made a huge difference in performance and bottom end torque. I also found the chain on my 5.0 with 100K just like new. I couldn't believe how good it was. Did I reuse it? Not hardly. It had 100k on it after all.

Hey...if he's happy with converters with 183K on them, then leave them alone. But I changed mine with 160K on it and noticed a difference in performance. There was no indication they were bad. On the other hand, it's usually illegal to replace perfectly working converters. Again, your choice. I would replace it if I were planning on keeping the car for a while.

All this input is helping me alot. I found the parts you guys recommended at half price from what I was quoted!!!!

I had no idea my exhaust was bad. I went to the shop because when I would brake hard and right as the car came to a stop, I would feel a bang. I thought it was the brakes or transmission, so thats what I went in for. Then I am told the exhaust is causing the noise. They did welding but I still have the damn noise.

I guess I should go for a second opinion before I replace the exhaust system. It stil might be the brakes, who knows lol.

Thanks again all.

IMHO, that shop's taking you for a ride... The bang or clunk when the suspension settles is most likely the driveshaft slip yoke. Pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case, work the slip joint in and out a few times to redistribute the grease, and it'll be good for a few more months. There's a ridge that forms in the two splines that tends to hang up when the suspension droops and tries to re-compress (like when braking and stopping). It's normal and doesn't hurt anything, but is also easy to fix... It's not an exhaust problem at all (if that's the problem).

-Joe

IMHO, that shop's taking you for a ride... The bang or clunk when the suspension settles is most likely the driveshaft slip yoke. Pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case, work the slip joint in and out a few times to redistribute the grease, and it'll be good for a few more months.

OUTSTANDING suggestion. This is usually overlooked. I would go so far as to make sure you don't have any grooves that could also be holding it up. Inside the slip yoke or out. Repair or replace as necessary. And don't be afraid to slather a bunch of new grease in there!

Back