Newbie - Navi Screen Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie - Navi Screen Question

Tarah716

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT
Hey guys

I'm new and a little lost so I'm hoping you can point me in the correct direction. I just got a 2010 Explorer XLT and went without the upgrade for the center Navi screen. I know I can get it cheaper after market and have it installed.

1. Am I correct in thinking that?
2. If so - where do I find a screen to install?
3. How "easy" is it to install?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey guys

I'm new and a little lost so I'm hoping you can point me in the correct direction. I just got a 2010 Explorer XLT and went without the upgrade for the center Navi screen. I know I can get it cheaper after market and have it installed.

1. Am I correct in thinking that?
2. If so - where do I find a screen to install?
3. How "easy" is it to install?

Thanks in advance! :)

Do you want the OEM/Ford Naviscreen or an aftermarket screen?
If you want the original Ford, I am not sure where you can get one (other than the Ford dealer itself) since your model is so new. I am also unsure about the connections involved but I am assuming it would be a complete replacement of the existing head unit - therefore there will be a series of plugs and connectors that should match. In some vehicles like newer vehicles, there is an external antenna that supplements (or may be required) for the navi unit to obtain external signal. And since this may be an entire headunit swap, all of the connectors, onboard amplifications, speakers, steering controls (if equipped) should match.

If you are thinking of an entirely aftermarket screen such as a Pioneer AvicZ or D3 model, the installation MAY be a little simpler. You may need a bypass module (for onboard amps), interface harnesses etc. However, the problem here is that again, since you have a newer vehicle, the aftermarket may not have all the necessary connectors and you may have to go through a totally custom install which could be more expensive.

If I were you, I would go ask the dealer about having that option installed on your vehicle. Considering the fact that an OEM system may have cost around an additional $1500 if you bought it together with your vehicle, a factory retrofit from the dealer (if at all possible) would probably cost more than the original price. I may be wrong but it wont hurt to ask them

Unless you are very comfortable with installs and all the parts are on-hand, neither option above is "easy".

Sorry if I wasnt of much help. Goodluck on you explorer

Do you want the OEM/Ford Naviscreen or an aftermarket screen?
If you want the original Ford, I am not sure where you can get one (other than the Ford dealer itself) since your model is so new. I am also unsure about the connections involved but I am assuming it would be a complete replacement of the existing head unit - therefore there will be a series of plugs and connectors that should match. In some vehicles like newer vehicles, there is an external antenna that supplements (or may be required) for the navi unit to obtain external signal. And since this may be an entire headunit swap, all of the connectors, onboard amplifications, speakers, steering controls (if equipped) should match.

If you are thinking of an entirely aftermarket screen such as a Pioneer AvicZ or D3 model, the installation MAY be a little simpler. You may need a bypass module (for onboard amps), interface harnesses etc. However, the problem here is that again, since you have a newer vehicle, the aftermarket may not have all the necessary connectors and you may have to go through a totally custom install which could be more expensive.

If I were you, I would go ask the dealer about having that option installed on your vehicle. Considering the fact that an OEM system may have cost around an additional $1500 if you bought it together with your vehicle, a factory retrofit from the dealer (if at all possible) would probably cost more than the original price. I may be wrong but it wont hurt to ask them

Unless you are very comfortable with installs and all the parts are on-hand, neither option above is "easy".

Sorry if I wasnt of much help. Goodluck on you explorer

Thanks - you were helpful! They wanted an additional $3,000 for the navi upgrade. No thanks. I have a friend who works at a dealership and would do the install on the side so I'm not too worried about that aspect. More along the lines of where to get one and what to get. I want to upgrade the stereo system as well so I may just do it all at once within the year.

Thanks - you were helpful! They wanted an additional $3,000 for the navi upgrade. No thanks. I have a friend who works at a dealership and would do the install on the side so I'm not too worried about that aspect. More along the lines of where to get one and what to get. I want to upgrade the stereo system as well so I may just do it all at once within the year.

Ahhh. Since you mentioned that you wanted to upgrade the stereo system as well then may I suggest something? I'm thinking more along the lines of a complete head unit - an example would be a pioneer AvicU3 series. I believe it comes with GPS navigation, Ipod control, MP3 playback and bluetooth. The next model (X7) adds voice control and rear view camera and the next model (X9) adds HD radio, DVD playback / divx. There are many more models and brand out there that has more features than what factory OEM units offer. If you prefer you can also scour ebay for a Pioneer AvicD3 (an older model sold till 2008) but it has dvd navigation, dvd playback, camera, ipod control and bluetooth similar to the X9 (but possibly half the price). You can either have your friend install it or have an independent shop do it for you and your total cost would probably be around half of what the dealership wants -- but you would get waaaaay more features. Still it's not the same as the "sync" system but the X7 above comes pretty close with voice commands for some functions.

A lot of the newer vehicles already come with a decent sound system. I believe yours already come with the mp3 jack as well. I'm not sure if the 2010 XLT includes a subwoofer though. The oem sound isn't bad unless you want real clarity or really booming sound. The oem subwoofer (if equipped) is not meant for heavy bass type music - but merely as a "reinforcement" for the sound of the oem door speakers. Depending on music of choice, features wanted and of course budget that's when you start upgrading, adding or changing components.

Good luck and cheers !!! :)

Back