Newbie Project (AKA :The Deer Slayer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Project (AKA :The Deer Slayer)

2talltim

Reaction score
City, State
fredericktown, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4.0 OHV 4WD 4DR
howdy all this is my first post here...even though im new here im not new to our ex...it has been our family grocery getter for the last 10 years...but for the last 2 or 3 of those years i have neglected it(a lot), my wife went back to school and money has been tight...now she is almost done and she wants a new car and i wan a new bike so iv got to get the ol ex in tip top shape to be my everyday driver again..it is a 2000 XLS 4.0 OHV 4WD 4DR w/Edge wheels and 119'000 miles...here is what iv done to it in the last 10 years..the tranny was replaced with a HD rebuild the 2nd year we had it(factory covered)and i did the filter at 80,000...and the engine was replaced at 85'000 with a brand new Jasper crate engine i was told the intake gasket let go resulting in the colant being dumped into the block and my wife driving it till it shut down and cooking the heads...i replaced the left hub on front..and sway linkage..and other than brakes,rotors, tires, and battery thats it..LOL..(yea i know ONLY the engine and tranny..LOL)

ok heres what i need to do to it:
1. replace valve covers (they put the old rusty ones on the new engine and now they leak)
2. find and fix the exaust leak(just started doing it, it's too snowy to look for it, it's some where buy the left manifold)
3.Rebuild the whole front suspention(ball joints, sway linkage(again), rod ends, shocks, right hub)
4. all U-joints, rear shocks
5.Replace bumper cover, grill, grill header, right head light and marker(due to 3 deer hits)
6.find out why the remote lock switch on the gate only works someimes
7. fix the door handle on inside left rear door it wont open door
8.replace the shock suporters on the gate, glass, and hood
9.tighten the spring on the rear wiper
10.give her a round of fresh brakes, rotors, and tires
11. And finally she needs some paint if not a complete job at least the hood and rear bumper

if i get all this done i hope to get at least another 5 to 6 year out of her..as soon as the weather warms up im going to get started..any info, links, parts sujestions, or tips would be appreciated

Oh yea i forgot one...needs a new windshield

Back