newbie to 4x4, i need some help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

newbie to 4x4, i need some help!!!

Forcerecon27

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My parents bought me a 2001 4x4 explorer XLT, 4 door. Its got minor wear and tear. Okay, down to the chase. I want to put a LITTLE money into it. Id like to raise it, put some lights on top And Other small cheap upgrades. The catch to this is money. And I know that's a big one, but if anyone can help from what ive heard its you all. My stepdad, was apart of thid site, he had to sell his explorer. He is the one who reffered me here when I asked him questions. I just need to know what I need and what possible. Please help, my truck needs you!!! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

thank you, glad to be here. Is it even possible to lift my 2001 explorer? My step dad was mentioning he though it couldn't be done but he also said that i might be able to tighten something on the front suspension and it would lift the front a little. (like 3in) but he didn't know. any truth to this?

i don't know. He currently has a Toyota FJ, '07 i believe. Don't feel he's a traitor or anything he always says he misses his Ford. His screen name on the Fj forums is Fjsteven i believe. I can ask him tomorrow, and get back to you.

you can run lift shackles in the back and crank up your torsion bars in the front for 2 inches all around. shackles would run you $60-70 at the most, the torsion bar crank (called a torsion twist on here) is free, but you have to get the front end aligned after you do it. Then throw on a 3 inch body lift and you can probably clear 33" tires! body lifts are cheap, under 200 bucks any place you shop. buy some used tires and wider wheels and then you'll be all set for several hundred bucks. That's what I'd do anyway.

Welcome To The Forum! You can only crank the torsion bars on a 4X4 so much you can get between 1.5-2" of lift doing that plus doing an add-a-leaf and/or warrior shackles look up the torsion twist<--that is a cheaper way of doing a small lift for under $150.00 depending what an alignment shop charges. Then like stated before you can do a 3" body lift they run around $180.00 or so.

Ok. lol, i need an alignment fix too, so thats two bird with one stone. How long do you think it would take to do the first part, (just the two inch lift) and would i be able to do it. I'm a pre-novice at automotive things. I know basics. very basic. and about the 3 in lift where would i shop and do you suggest any brands or anything in particular?

the shackles shouldn't take too long, maybe an hour (more if your truck has a rusty bottom) if this is your first time doing them. Just make sure you have a long breaker bar so you can get the shackle bolts loose. The TT, I dunno how long that takes, I've never done it. Probably less time than the shackles.

Mostly everyone uses the Performance Accessories brand of body lift. That will take you the better part of a day to do by yourself. You have to jack the body of the truck off the frame and replace the 10 body mounts with taller ones. You can get the PA body lift anywhere for around the same price.

For shackles, you can buy $20 Autozone shackles, which look wimpy but are reputedly safe and sound, or spend the extra cash ($60something) for Warrior shackles, which are big ol sturdy sombitches.

However it goes, keep reading! you will get hooked and have more knowledge than you know what to do with before you know it.

thanks, that helps a lot. I'm sure my stepdad and the mechanic at my church can help too. you guys have been awesome. I'm very pleased with this. I've already read about the zip-ties behind the petal to make the accelerator open more. i plan on looking into that because mine lags sometimes. and its cheap. WIN WIN!!! thanks again everyone.

you're welcome! Keep reading and just remember to:
-eat
-sleep
-breath
occasionally :p:

:) ya, i'll need reminding on that. my girlfriend was mad because i've been reading all day. lol, so if i do the first step on the lift, with the TT and shackles what will that do to the truck's lifespan?

Many on here have been running tt and shackles on their trucks for years it will stiffen your ride up front some. As long as you keep the tt within 1 1/2-2" you won't stress the CV's much if any.

i talked to my mechanic friend from my church. he said that the shackle/tension bar would be a piece of cake. he was worried that it may cause my tires to go a little diagonal. has that happened to any of you? he said he has only done it to Chevy's he has never worked on a Ford like that. he said they may be different. and with the bolt under the truck, should i replace it with a longer one or just tighten it?

Just tighten the bolt that's it, and on the diagonal tires its recommended after messing with the suspension like that its a good idea to go to the alignment shop to make sure the tires stay in the right position. They won't lower your height just go over it and readjust.

Back