• Register Today It's free!

Newbie to the forums

CalvinC

Reaction score
City, State
Chesterton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Merc Mounty V8 5.0L
Hey all! Awesome forum, with tons of info to digest - looking forward to it!

Just bought a used Mountaineer:

1999 Mercury Mountaineer
5.0L V8
Automatic
Full-time 4WD
153,000 miles

Was able to get it for $1000 - drove about 250 miles to get it home, and engine has plenty of life (and power!) in it, transmission shifts fine, AC is blowing cold, body and paint are in good condition, no rust, a few minor dents.

Does need some work:

-Check engine light is on, haven't had a chance to run a diag on it yet
-ABS light is on
-Parking brake light comes and goes
-There's a sort of whine or rubbing from the front end, feels like it's coming from the wheel bays, especially noticeable when accelerating/decelerating - so could be bearings or brakes, hopefully not the transmission
-Door locks/door handles not working all the time - one door won't open at all, and rear gate doesn't open

Otherwise, for $1000 I couldn't be happier with it!

Can't wait to get to work on it - can't wait to bug all of you for help!

Take care and stay safe,
Calvin

Welcome To Explorer Forum! Don't forget to search before you post. We have alot of members that have been through all of your problems. You should find what you need. Happy posting!

Thanks!

I've finally had some time over the last couple days to get under the hood and start poking around. Some updates:

-=Brake light isn't on anymore now - brake fluid was really low, and is pretty dirty looking. Topped the fluid off for now, as I'm looking to do some brake work in the next couple weeks and I'll bleed the fluid then.

-=Check engine isn't on anymore - Had the codes read and one was misfiring in cylinder 2 and the other was IAC underspeed error. Engine was never really running bad, no real noticeable vibration or anything from the misfire. Since I've no idea the maintenance done and the oil looked dirty, I took it in for a quickie oil change, air filter, oil filter, etc. Then went across the street to auto parts store, grabbed a can of SeaFoam and tossed that into the fuel tank with a fill-up. Drove around for about 10 miles, came home and let it sit for an hour. Started it up and it was idling really low, so disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer. Hooked the battery back up, truck started up perfectly and even smoother than before. Idles perfectly, CEL has yet to come back on after a dozen or so engine starts. I've maybe run about a gallon or so of the SeaFoam'd gas and it's already purring like a brand new engine! When I have more time next week I'll get under and check the plugs to see their age/status. I'll be cleaning the IAC tomorrow just to make sure it doesn't become a problem again.

-=I'm pretty sure the ABS light is on in conjunction with the front bearings/wheel hubs going bad. As I drive it more and get accustomed to the noises, seems the front-right is the worst. I've ordered new wheel hubs for both fronts, and will hopefully have those installed next weekend. Hoping new sensors take care of the ABS light.

-=Brake rotors look good, no rust or anything. I'll get a closer look at the calipers and pads when I change out the wheel hubs. There is a bit of a sandpaper'ish sound when applying the breaks with the windows down... we'll see.

-=Still fighting with the door locks. Meh :confused:

-=Checked the transmission fluid via the dip stick - looks pretty clean, but I have no idea if it's been flushed or other tranny history. I've not noticed any problems with shifting, so I'm not too concerned at the moment, but I'll probably see about getting a new tranny filter and all new fluid. I don't think I'll do the "power flush" as I've seen a couple people advise against it with high-mileage cars.

This forum has been a huge help - much thanks to everyone!

Back