Newly rebuilt 4r75w/e installed in the truck. Now giving p0731 error codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newly rebuilt 4r75w/e installed in the truck. Now giving p0731 error codes

Arugg2008

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford f150 4.6 4x4
Ok so first the background, it's a 2008 ford f150 4x4 4.6 and a 4r75w/e. 6 inch lift yadda yadda.
So the transmission went, and I decided I would pull it and rebuild it myself. So I got on the line with opt, ordered there high performance rebuild kit(kolene steels, red clutches, general stuff any kit comes with), new Torrington bearings, transgo seals.... I also ordered the fairbanks powertow kit for the valve body rebuild, and a sonax sure cure kit. Dr trannys assembly lube....
Then
I fully cleaned every detail of the transmission inside and out then rebuilt it. During the initial tear down I noticed the reverse drum ( the large c clip that holds the one way clutch on the back of the drum had come off and tore up the front of my pump) was the majority of my problems, and had to replace it luckily I had picked up a parts transmission from a junk yard truck for 250.00 so I had all "new" hard parts.
Anyways after the full rebuild was completed and intalled into the truck, I topped off all fluids and when I was pulling out of the driveway immediately the p0731 code popped up on my edge tuner ( still happened after clearing it out and returning it to stock) reverse works great, I have no first ( manual low), second is fine and the other gears are all ok. In drive it has a very sluggish take off like im in either 2/ 3 gear. Any ideas of what I can do or possible causes I can search out before pulling the transmission back out? Also has anyone used the fairbanks kits? I only went with it because it came with the new separator plate.

Does anyone have any insight to this? I am having the same exact problem. My code doesn't pop on immediately, if i drive it down the street and stop it will turn on once i start again.

Any help would be appreciated

So i am going to assume the OP isn't around any longer unfortunately. Rather than starting a new thread i was hoping someone here may have some insight.

I had precisely these symptoms after rebuilding my 4R75E and I found this post and just one other describing exactly this problem and in neither did the original poster close the loop and solve the mystery.

So here's what causes this problem: If you have the newer intermediate piston return spring and you install it backwards it gets crushed and jams the second clutch. Doh!

Back