Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV

I saw nothing on the Ford site other than maybe the short blurb that the next Ex will be a CUV. I did see a short blurb in 4Wheeler Magazine that said the Ex will become a "unibody crossover on the same platform as Volvo's XC90."

The Flex is replacing the Freestar minivan. If its like a minivan it will have very low ground clearance because minivans are designed to be easy for children to ingress/egress. And, forget about all terrain tires.

By contrast, the XC90 has a ground clearance of 8.9 inches. Explorer is 8.2 inches, and the Taurus X, designed as a family wagon, is 5.1 inches.

We live in hope.

Bob

Rick, I have close ups of this "Ex Concept" if you'd like me to post;) My lil sis actually got to go for a ride in it, street and and on a offroad course:thumbsup:

Did you ever post these pictures anywhere? I'd like to see them.

I definitely want to see pictures of what it can do offroad, or at least on unpaved roads.

There is a rumor on the Freestyle web site that 2009 will be the last year for the Taurus X (formerly Freestyle). Its a good design but apparently doesn't sell very well. So, my guess now is that the new Explorer will replace the Taurus X and will be like either a lifted Taurus X or a Volvo XC-90, without the expensive Volvo drivetrain and suspension. Ford no doubt still wants to capitalize on the Explorer name. So, I guess the lineup will be:

Escape: small crossover SUV
Edge: Yuppie crossover CUV to compter against Nissan Murano, etc.

Explorer: Midsize crossover SUV, replacing Taurus X.
Flex: Big crossover minivan replacement.
Expedition: big truck-based SUV.

Bob

Back