• Register Today It's free!

No 3-4 Shift A4LD

mxz583

Reaction score
City, State
mt.prospect, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
i have a 94 explorer with a A4LD trans i have over drive but no 3-4 shift and a code of 566

You have overdrive but not 3-4 shift??? Must be some confusion, because 4th gear is overdrive. Do you mean that you have torque converter clutch lockup, but not 4th gear?

From my experience, it requires pretty dramatic electrical faults to trigger solenoid codes like a 566 (I'm assuming this is a KOEO code). Usually has to be either a full open in the circuit or a short to ground. Should be pretty easy to find if you have a wiring diagram and a voltmeter. If you don't have a wiring diagram, I find that the diagrams included in the vehicle repair guides at www.autozone.com are adequate for this particular operation.

MrShorty
yes it is KOEO code could the 3-4 shift sol. have gone out is ther a way to test the sol.??

The solenoid is certainly part of the circuit. If the solenoid has developped an internal open/short to ground then it will need to be replaced. Test it by putting an ohmmeter on it and see if there is continuity through the solenoid and no short to ground. Because there are a few inches of wire between the transmission connector and the solenoids themselves, you'll ultimately have to drop the transmission pan to be absolutely sure that the fault is in the solenoid. PErsonally, I would verify the external wiring first, then drop the pan to check the internal wiring.

Back