No Brake Lights on '95 Limited (center light IS working) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Brake Lights on '95 Limited (center light IS working)

Joebigfun

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady, NY, 12304 (near Albany)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
OK, I have a '95 Explorer Limited and it has no brake lights. But the center light works as it should. I have tested all the fuses, brake light switch (which obviously works becasue the center light lites), and bulbs. With the pedal depressed, power comes out of the brake light switch but never gets back to the 2 side lights.

In my searching, it sounds like there may be a relay in the rear left panel that could be a cause. Also, I see mention of the LOM (Lamp Out Module) causing this. I'd love to bypass that LOM if possible. I read that for the '96 you jump the green wire with the R/W wire, but am not sure if that applies to my '95. Trouble is, I only have a cheesy wiring diagram from AutoZone that doens't even mention the LOM or relay. Can anybody shed some (brake) light on this?

LOM............ REPLACE AND FIXED >COST ME !@) BUXS OR IF youR GOOD AT SOLDIERING <SOLDIERR THE CONNECTORS THAT ARE ####ED

as mentioned, if you have LOM... that's your problem. Most people have been readily successful in repairing it with some solder (pins 14 and 15... I think... LG and R/W at least in 96).

Bypassing LOM fixed brake lights for me :)

Awesome forum!

A few days ago a friend noticed the lower brake lights were out on my 95 Explorer LTD. With an incomplete wiring diagram on hand, I started the process of troubleshooting the problem. Using an electronic tone generator / wiring test tool and multimeter I managed to find, the trailer lamp relays (I think). Thinking that they might congtrol the rear brake lights, I checked all four of them and found them to be good.

At that point, I figured I'd search or post a question online to find out more info on the routing for the brake wiring. I ended up finding this thread, and in following the tip, pulled the center console to access the LOM. I found and verified the green wire was part of the brake lamp circuit. Found the Red/white wire at the opposite side of the connector. -Thought it was odd that it was that far away, so I pulled the connectors off the rear lamp sockets and used the test tool to "sniff" the wire, and it apparently was. Used a jumper to connect them and, whoohoo the brake lights worked! :) I then spliced and soldered the two wires, bypassing the LOM.

I Just wanted to post and say thanks to all that contribute to the forum. Saved me a bunch of time and a lot of frustration!

Regards,

Dave

Back