• Register Today It's free!

No coolant flow

ZONDERIX

Reaction score
City, State
pahrump,nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xlt
Hello I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 L. 2w. With 198768 miles on her. Maintenance kept up oil changes changed every 5000.Change the radiator because it was leaking. Put new radiator hoses and the crossover hose elbow on. put in new Factory coolant with distilled water a new Ford 190 thermostat. The problem I'm having now is that the Motors getting up to Temp at idle ,but there's no heat in the cabin blows cold air ,the radiators hose and heater hoses are all cold. Seems like watering isnt circulating , thermostat housing is hot and hose at thermostat is cold or warm , can squeeze hose while motor is running hear water sloshing . Can everybody help me is it possible the new ford thermostat is bad?
Should I replace the water pump? I don't want to drive it if going to overheat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 L. 2w. With 198768 miles on her. Maintenance kept up oil changes changed every 5000.Change the radiator because it was leaking. Put new radiator hoses and the crossover hose elbow on. put in new Factory coolant with distilled water a new Ford 190 thermostat. The problem I'm having now is that the Motors getting up to Temp at idle ,but there's no heat in the cabin blows cold air ,the radiators hose and heater hoses are all cold. Seems like watering isnt circulating , thermostat housing is hot and hose at thermostat is cold or warm , can squeeze hose while motor is running hear water sloshing . Can everybody help me is it possible the new ford thermostat is bad?
Should I replace the water pump? I don't want to drive it if going to overheat
Update Rev'd motor for 4 seconds. Nuke warm heat in the cabin thinking it might be air bubbles and this system.

Update Rev'd motor for 4 seconds. Nuke warm heat in the cabin thinking it might be air bubbles and this system.
Update 2 Papa's not building up much pressure pressure return line on heater is cold all other lines are hot heater in Cabin when revved his hot at idle cools down to Nuke warm temperature rev it again and it gets hot again. I'm confused

When I replaced the intake manifold on mine, I had a heck of a time getting enough coolant and water in it. Several attempts later, I finally got it. I've never seen a vehicle so hard to get coolant into. Maybe you have the same issue.
edit add -- mine ended up overheating twice to the point the engine shut off. It happened all of a sudden. It seems to have caused no damage to the vehicle. Gotta love a Ford.

When I replaced the intake manifold on mine, I had a heck of a time getting enough coolant and water in it. Several attempts later, I finally got it. I've never seen a vehicle so hard to get coolant into. Maybe you have the same issue.
edit add -- mine ended up overheating twice to the point the engine shut off. It happened all of a sudden. It seems to have caused no damage to the vehicle. Gotta love a Ford.
For the reply but seems like I was just air bubbles when I got them out air heater super hot now

They can be tough. There are a couple tricks like jacking up the front of the vehicle and blast the heat, etc. but sometimes that isn’t enough.

I bought one of these back when I was working on large diesels that take 5 gal of coolant or more, but it works so good that I use it for all my vehicles now.
The one in the video has a specific cap for the reservoir but mine has a rubber cone that will fit all of my stuff.

Also one of the things that they didn’t show in the video is that when you pull a vacuum on the system, you can hold that vacuum for a while to see if there are any leaks.
Instead of adding the coolant and firing her up and waiting for the thermostat to open, etc. only to find a leak and then drop the coolant again and fix the leak and put the coolant back in which is a huge pain in the ass.
Plus it’s a lot easier than trying to pour 5 gal of coolant through a funnel on a ladder lol
If I wasn’t working on heavy trucks I would not have bought one but I’m glad I did. Expensive

This tool is also very interesting, I used to use one but didn’t buy one.
But I have changed engine block heaters without having to drop any coolant at all.

Just because I am kind of a nerd I figured maybe some would appreciate the practicality of this from a tool standpoint

This tool is also very interesting, I used to use one but didn’t buy one.
But I have changed engine block heaters without having to drop any coolant at all.

Just because I am kind of a nerd I figured maybe some would appreciate the practicality of this from a tool standpoint

Wow ty these to look cool and interesting I may purchase one thank you for the tips

Wow ty these to look cool and interesting I may purchase one thank you for the tips

You’re welcome
Tool technology is pretty sweet.
Maybe too much $$$ for a weekend warrior but I was dropping coolant on a daily basis so it was a no brainer
Some specialty tools are totally worth it because they do they make the job so much easier but if you don’t do the job often enough, the cost may not be justified

Back