no drivers side low-beam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no drivers side low-beam

willrappold

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer xlt
on my dads 97 ford explorer limited his driver side low-beam has quit working. tried new bulbs, didn't work, swapped old bulbs around and still same result, checked all fuses and there fine. the high beam works on drivers side and both high and low work on passenger side. So should we try and replace the socket the bulb plugs in to? Or does anyone else have any other ideas? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the relays

look at how the bulb socket looks like if the terminals are rusty or corroded Also look at the wiring that you can see from the socket if there is any exposed or burnt looking wires. If nothing obvious after looking you need to make sure you are getting power and ground at the socket. This is all if all the fuses/ relays/ bulb is good.

Big problem in the 96 and 97s with the lamp out module in the center console. The contacts get hot and desolate themselves. It's located in under the cup holder/message center.

where is the headlight relay? I looked in the owners manual and checked all the maxi fuses and stuff and didn't see a headlight relay in the book. We haven't gotten to the point of the message center saying "check headlamps" and no fuses have blown yet, so I don't think its the headlight module under the cup holders yet.

Did you check for voltage at the socket?
Just replaced my socket on my 2002. Got replacement from junkyard, and see that Rock Auto sells them

Hook meter leads to each pin where the bulb inserts with the bulb out. Set the meter to VDC (measure voltage direct current). Turn the headlights on. That would be step 1 prior to any other troubleshooting. Then if you do have 12 volts at the pins, look to see if the contacts seem to have gotten hot. Could be a bad connection when the bulb is in.
If you don't have power, then you need to dig deeper. If you are unsure of where you should be receiving power at the pins, verify by hooking leads up and checking voltage at working headlight.

Back