No gears after tranny fluid change. I need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No gears after tranny fluid change. I need help!

supravette67

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Ranger
Hi Guys,
I am having a serious problem with my 92 ford ranger and not sure if you can help or possibly direct me to help.
First of all, I am a woman..and I am not an expert on repairs, but I try.
My tranny was shifting a bit rough so I decided to change the filter and fluid. I removed the old gasket and drained all of the old fluid out. Replaced the filter and sealed back up. I was careful with new gasket to make sure it was lubed with the tranny fluid first. I tightened bolts opposite sides when tightening and I refilled the fluid through the dipstick. I started it to go somewhere and its not engaging into any of the gears at all. I moved it through the gears while in park and nothing! Can you please help me?
Thanks
Kelly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did u check your fluid with it running? Its probly a quart or two low. Try checking it with it running and add as needed. Mine does that when its low

I am a retard!

:salute::salute:Okay guys, no making fun of me for being a dumb girl, okay? For those of you who suggested that I check the tranny fluid level, you were correct!! I put 4 courts because that is what the book called for, but then when I read a couple of things last night, it said to figure on a min. of 7. I would say it was about 3 quarts low. I poured 3 more in and shifted through several times and WA LA! What do you know...it went into gear.
I worked on my truck all by myself for 5 days.
I changed the rear differential fluid. I changed the tranny fluid, filter and gasket, the oil filter and gasket. I removed my radiator to put in a new one because my truck seemed to be overheating and I was told it needed a new radiator when in fact what they were calling the radiator was actually the a/c condenser. My temp guage was not working so I replaced the temperature sending unit, and the temperature switch and the thermostat. I also replaced the plugs. I tell you, I got intimate with my truck. I was a mess, too. Grease all over me with at least a court in my hair from laying in it. But, after it was all said and done, the moment came to start him up and he did! Oh, I also had to do some rewiring in the harness where someone just through the harness and wires any ol where and a set of 6 different wires literally melted the connector beyond recognition. So I bought 16 guage wire and butted them all together and then taped them all up.
When my truck wouldn't go into gear, I felt like a complete failure until I received your advice and it was an easy fix.
Thank you to all who replied. Your da bomb!

Well good deal glad I could help. I'm pretty damn impressed with your skills. Good job. If u need any help in the future just pm me and ill be willing to help.

Thank you very much. It's thanks to men like you who are willing to help me to learn how to become self-sufficient, besides I kinda like working on my vehicles. Don't much like the grease and dirtiness of it, but nothing a bottle of dawn dishwashing detergent can't handle. Thank you again. Have a wonderful day!

Back