Explorer shuddering after tranny fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shuddering after tranny fluid change

Autimous

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
This related to a 91 4x4 Eddie Bauer with about 211k. The tranny was alegedly rebuilt last year.

So here's the thing....

I changed the oil/filter, and also the transmission fluid. As I'd previously changed the tranny fluid and filter a few hundred miles ago, I decided to just change the tranny fluid this time to see if I can help get thank gunky crap out that like to sit in the oil pan.

No it could be totally unrelated, but I don't see how, but when I just took it out for a short test run (about 10 miles) it was shuddering in the highway like it didn't know which gear to go into. This isn't the first time this has happened, when I first bought it about a month ago it did the same thing. But that went away after a day or two so i figured that perhaps the previous owner wasn't up to scratch with his maintainence. Anyway, it went away.....

Then it started sticking in first gear on a cold start up, so after surfing this site thought it best to change the tranny fluid/filter, and after a week or so that problem went away. So I thought I change the tranny fluid again, just to make sure. Then I noticed this shudder thing again. I'm a bit worried because i was surfing this site to find what it could be and someone put a scary post about the same problem causing a rebuild.!?!?

Anyway any advice or reassurance would be very welcomed.

Whilst it may be completely unrelated i also changed 1 spark plug (I changed the other 5 a month ago). So I'm also concerned that it might be the piston underneath it. Oh bollox, I really don't know. I'm an aspiring DIY mechaninc who is learning all the time so please give me your advice.............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think the spark plug will cause this as it sounds like your trany was over heated once before. My new 9 month old trany is starting to crap out on me. It is... you guessed it an A4LD.

Best advice I can tell you is never change the fluid in your trany with out putting in a new filter. Especial sence you purchased it used. If you changed the fluid cause it was acting strange and that started to fix the problem. You should have replaced the filter with the fluid the second time. That filter you put in first time around is probably full of crap.

Your shutter problem could be related cause you have fresh fluid and a half plugged filter. There for not getting enough line pressure to the clutch bands.

I hope this helps out a little.

p.s. for you spark plug thing remember to always change them all or none. if it is fouling out one plug every 6 months you need to have your compression checked.

So in a nutshell, I should change the fluid (again) and the filter?

If it was me I would drive it around a little in "D" to see if it is going to stop the shuttering. Then, let it cool off and change the fluid and filter just to be safe. Take it easy on the tranny for a few days after changing the filter and fluid. If the only problem is nasty gummed up system then that should help take care of the problem.

I am hoping someone else with more experiance in dealing with these auto matics will chime in here soon.

Does anyone have anything else to offer?????

If I'm understanding correctly, given time the fluid will circulate properly and the jumping that I'm experiencing on highway driving will be gone.

Any thoughts on whether I'm safe to drive it?

Thanks

Help by explaining the "shudder" you refer to. Often shudder is caused by the wrong fluid being used. WHat kind of fluid did you use? Also there is an aftermarket product called Lube Gard (you can buy it at a transmission supply house or order it online) and it can be alifesaver in these situations... that is all assuming you are describing classic shudder, and not something else.

What did the fluid you drained out look like?

Also remember you only drain out about 50 - 60% of the fluid when you drain it, so you may need to do a couple 3 changes to get the old fluid mostly out or diluted to the point it is for all intents and purposes gone.

I'd add a new filter if the old fluid was really bad. Yes I know it's the 2nd one buy good insurance.

Thanks.
The problem is when I'm driving along at highway speeds. When i'm trying to go up a hill, or at the point where the car tries to change gear I feel something that I would describe as a shudder?!?!? I'm fairly confident that it's not engaging the O/D gear correctly, but then this is my first automatic.

As I said before this happened when i first bought the car about 6 weeks ago. So being a bit daring I drove it to Vegas!!! At some point enroute this problem dissapeared and didn't resurface until yesterday immediately after I changed the fluid. Which was Mercon V incidently. The old fluid looked good, apart from a bit of gunk at the bottom of the pan.

Thinking back I should have changed the filter too, so I'll get that done. But I haven't tried to drive it on a highway since yesterday in the hope that this is just a simple process which will go when the car's been driven a bit. Is that likely??? It did go away before.....

And whilst I'm typing I want to say to everyone that contributes to this site that you are doing a great job!! I have more confidence about tinkering now than I ever have, and so feel less likely to be ripped off by dodgy mechanics. So thank you all.....

You want mercon III not 5. THERE is your likely culprit. Do a couple changes using MERCON III and see if your problem does not go away. Your problem is likely that fluid affecting the Torque Convertor CLutch which uses friction material designed for III.

I say likely, but the symptoms fit.

Thanks for the advice.

I've now changed the filter and fluid again, this time using Mercon/Dextron III so hopefully I got it right this time.

OK so I need to add some more information in order to get the crux of this...........

As I said I did the change and so went on a test drive.

ONLY in the final gear (OD or 5th or whatever it is) does the shuddering occur. When I'm cruising along at roughyl 60+ and it changes gear it's like it doesn't engage properly. It's a similar feeling to when you're driving a manual car and when you change from 2nd gear you select 5th instead of 3rd.

Seeing as I narrowed it down to OD only, I was testing it further and so I was listening very carefully, and when I kept it in "shudder state" (rather than flooring it and changing down a gear) I could have sworn that after 5 seconds or so I heard a knock from under my feet. I'd say it was in the transmission somewhere.

This only happens when I very slightly touch the accelerator in OD. The only other way I can describe this is to say that it doesn't change up a gear when it should, or alternatively that OD is not engaging fully. Which having read a few hundred posts here could be normal (?!?!?) Only this shuddering can't be. It's not really aggressive, like you would feel in a manual car if you braked to a stop just before you stall it, but a lighter version of that which is pronounced enough to piss me off.

So given this further info does it still sound like I just used the wrong fluid??? I'm really hoping that you're gonna tell me that this isn't a big problem!!!

Newbie here, but your problem is the same I had on a high mileage F150. When you change tranny fluid make sure you use a name brand. Pennzoil states "shutter guard' on the label. Then use the mentioned Lube Guard product, they make a couple different ones. "Highly friction Modified" or "Dr. Shutter" should do the trick.
I never believed in additives before these, drove the truck 60,000 miles after the shop gave me a $2200 estimate, just added the Lube guard stuff every 6-9 months.

No problems, good luck

thanks all, I've taken your advice and I'll let you know how I get on.......

Back