No mess 4R70W transmission fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No mess 4R70W transmission fluid change

joebnz

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0 AWD
Having taken the tranny fluid shower in the past, I was looking for a cleaner way to drop the pan:

1)Remove the hose between the radiator cooler and the external cooler at the frame elevation where it transitions from stainless to rubber. Have a drain pan ready to catch a few ounces from cooler.
2)Place about 2 feet of hose over stainless line coming from radiator cooler into a gallon milk jug (or similar).
3)Start engine and observe fluid volume removed, I got just under four quarts in 40-50 seconds.
4)Now remove the pan and presto, about half a pint remained in the pan.

I also removed the drain plug from the torque converter, total volume drained from both locations was 12 quarts.

One item in question, there was no magnet in the pan, should I replace this?

'98 5.0 AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no magnet in the pan? really? i had one in mine. its a good idea to have one.... stick one in there if you can find one. i solved the drain issues 2 days after i bought mine..... just install a drain plug.

yep make your own drain plug is nice! :)

Drain plug on mine, as well as magnet.

Anyone know who makes a case aluminum pan with cooling fins. I have not found one??

Any pics of this job being done?? Plus a show where and how to install the drain plug?

Garth:

Best place for the drain plug is in the sump. (dimple in bottom of pan)

Ford actually makes a pan w/drain plug for the 4R70W/AODE. Check the tech articles at www.tccoa.com

That pan is rather expensive. Mr. gasket makes a plug, part # 4470, or check summit for the B&M plug. Less than 10 bucks and very easy to install.

You'll only need to take the Mercon shower once.

Back