no power to the ignition terminal on relay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no power to the ignition terminal on relay

tbasco2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91XLT
The kids bought my grandson a 91 ranger xlt. This truck has sat up awhile. They replaced the starter relay. I got involved, and have found there is only a trickle of voltage going to the starter relay. I can jump a hot wire to the S terminal and make it turn over.

This truck supposedly ran when it was parked. I have thoughts of the clutch interlock or neutral switch being the problem, but cannot find the clutch interlock switch. It is not mounted near the clutch pedal.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clutch switch should be a wire harness that clips onto the clutch pedal shaft. It's about the size of a roll of lifesavers. If it's not there, maybe it was unclipped and stuffed up in the dash?

Thanks Bill. I find no such harness. I do have a flat 6 pin plug hanging. Upon inspection it has 2 pink wires going into it. I notice that the wiring schematic in the Haynes manual shows a pink wire going to the clutch switch, and a pink wire leaving going to the neutral switch. There also seems to be a clip on the side of the clutch master cylinder that may be where the switch was supposed to attach to.

Ok, I jumped the 2 pink wires on the 6 pin connector, and the key turns the truck over. Will have to buy a switch and mount it.

Thanks Bill. I find no such harness. I do have a flat 6 pin plug hanging. Upon inspection it has 2 pink wires going into it. I notice that the wiring schematic in the Haynes manual shows a pink wire going to the clutch switch, and a pink wire leaving going to the neutral switch. There also seems to be a clip on the side of the clutch master cylinder that may be where the switch was supposed to attach to.

The flat 6 pin connector is for the clutch triple function switch (Fords term). If the switch is there, like RangerX said, it would be on the shaft from the pedal to the master.

EDIT: nevermind, you figured it out.

Thanks snoranger. Nevermind that I think I figured it out, as all input is appreciated.

If all input is appreciated, then here's a pic of the switch on the clutch shaft.

0499_2.jpg

I guess harness was the wrong word, but glad you are on track. Maybe you're just missing the spring mechanism that the 6 wire plug plugs to?

I spliced my wires last year to bypass the whole mess, it's just an idiot-proof deal.

Got the switch. Had my grandson put it on as he needs to learn how to use his head and do things. Yes I supervised. Works good, but truck won't start, turns over, but won't start. Will be looking at possibilities of bad gas, fuel pump, and such tomorrow.

Again, thanks for input folks.

Well, it's been 4 days. ... ... ... What have you found?

There is a schrader valve on the fuel injector rail that can be tested for fuel pressure. The fuel pump should run for 3-5 seconds when the ignition key is turned from Off to On.[not start] The run is used to prime the fuel system, and make sure there is fuel pressure behind the injectors when you start to crank the engine. If it does not run, check the relay down by the passenger kick panel{I think} or under the hood in the 'power distribution panel', depending on when all that stuff changed. You can also check the rollover switch, which was/is up above the top of the carpeting on the firewall on the passenger side footwell. It will have a reset button that jostles the ball bearing to fall back into place and make contact to send power to the fuel pump.
tom

Back