No start after intake manifold gasket job. What am I missing??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start after intake manifold gasket job. What am I missing???

torqlox

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Explorer XLS
So I did a pretty big replacement job on my Explorer this weekend after discovering a vaccum leak coming from my upper intake manifold (plenum). Replacement parts include: New Intake plenum Orings, New intake plenum gasket, new exhaust manifold gaskets, new DPFE Switch, New EGR Valve, New EGR Hoses, New IAC Valve, new plugs and wires, new coil pack.

I did spray brake cleaner on the exposed intake manifold to break up some grime and I am pretty sure that stuff fell into the cylinders (I planned on letting it burn out. Now the truck turns over but will not start. Am I missing something? Thanks for all that can help.

oxygen, fuel or spark. which one are you missing? I once spend 2 days trying to figure out why my vehicle wouldn't start after replacing a timing belt. turned out it was out of gas, because with the front end on ramps all the fuel (wasn't much in it) ran to the rear of the fuel tank and the pickup was in the front. always check the obvious stuff first.

Yep, it's pretty hard to get a modern car *not* to start. It's probably something as simple as an electrical connector that the OP missed. On the 4.0 you have to disconnect the fuel lines, fuel injection connectors, and coil pack connection. That'd be where I'd start. Double check those things, and anything that plugs into them.

When I did this job I miswired the plugs pretty bad. It still started...it just ran horribly.

whats it sound like when you try to start it? Spray choke cleaner in the air intake if it starts its fuel. Make sure all connections are hooked up, then make sure all vaccum lines are hooked up, check the fuses, check the schrader valve for fuel pressure see if it squirts out, look for broken vaccum lines, check the inertia switch, listen for the fuel pump. For me I spent over a weak with a no start conditions after doing my head gaskets and a bunch of other work turns out it was the small gasket on the upper intake tube from the egr, it wasn't seated right and it wouldn't run. One of the indications that lead me to it being an air problem was that my new plugs I put in after cranking it over a few times I took the plugs out and the insulators were black which shows that it was dumping the fuel so it was either spark or air and I replaced the whole ignition system so I knew it had to be air. Let us know what it was.

Back