No start help please

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
This morning I tried to start my truck, and I got nothing. Didn't try to turn over or anything, and no interior lights. So I charged the battery, still doesn't fire but I hear the imfamous clicking noise. So, I go get a new Yellow Top battery, stick that in, everything works fine on ACC, and when I try to start, all the lights come on and the fuel pump turns on, but nothing from the engine, not even clicking.

I'm thinking it's the starter solenoid on the fender, but I wanted to make sure. THANKS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the wiring everywhere. mine has been doing that off and on for a few days now. turns out its the wiring to the solenoid that is messed up somewhere.

wanna check your starter solinoid...
just find it, around the fender well, then locate the two larger posts comming off it and short them together with a big screwdriver? make sure the key is in the ON position and it should start up if the starter is good.

Maybe you know this already but i thought id post this great testing procedure. if it does start that way you can try jumping the smaller post to 12v , if that doesnt work its the solinoid, if it does work then its most likely a fuse or wiring prob

The wiring is fine.

Just replaced the starter solenoid. Still nothing. No clicking, no struggling to turn over, just nothing at all.

My BII sometimes does this. In my case it's caused by a bad connection in the battery terminals. Make sure your battery cables are tightly clamped to the battery posts, that the cables are in good shape (no internal corrosion!). In my case, I've found that I can get it to start by sticking a small screwdriver in between the battery post and the battery cable terminal to make a better connection.

If it was a bad connection to the battery then none of the lights would work!

just a thought try shifting it into neutral into gear and back into neutral a couple times....end up in nuetral and try to start? maybe park switch is bad?

Can you get a jumper cable down to the starter (maybe from undernieth?)
if you can connect it at the starter FIRST, then hook the other end the the batt. that should turn it over!!(if the starter is good)

BTW; yeah the lights will work when the connections are bad , because they only use about 2% of the power needed to start.

Finally figured it out, the battery cable connection on the starter was covered in gear oil. I cleaned that up and everything works fine now.

taking notes. battery cable connection on the starter covered in gear oil. got it. might come handy some day. :)

Back