Theft light blinking, wont start. Help please. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Theft light blinking, wont start. Help please.

springwater

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer V6 4.0
:aerostar:

This question relates to my 2002 Windstar with only one key.

I have an Explorer too but I thought the issue or solution might be similar so why not ask here since you guys are very knowledgeable.

Mods, please leave this thread here for a little while so it gets more responses/views. Some of the other forum areas are less frequented.

The theft light is blinking slow and steadily, regardless of which position the key is in.

But when the car is in the on position, just before the start position, all of the cluster lights come on, including the theft light, which remains on for about 3 seconds then goes off.

But the car still wont start. The theft light never does a fast blink.

When I put the key back in the other positions, the theft light goes back to slow blink.

I checked all of the fuses (not the relays) both under the dash and in the engine compartment and all are good.

Right before this happened, I went to start it, it wouldnt start, I put the key to off then tried again and it did. I moved the van, had it running for 2 minutes, turned it off and from that point, it will no longer start.

Ive been told I need to have the key (and a 2nd key) reprogrammed but I wanted to make sure as much as possible before having the car towed.

:salute:

Does not sound like a PATS issue to me. The theft light is supposed to blink in every position except run and start.

Have you checked your battery level?

Back