No start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start

dvsing

Reaction score
2005 explorer 4.0 cranks but won't start. My wife started it today and said the check gauges light was on, she noticed the oil pressure gauge did not register. Got about a mile from the house and said it started making a squeaking noise. Display said low oil pressure, pulled over and shut off engine. I towed it home and now it will crank, but not start. We just returned from a 2000 mile trip and I changed the oil the day before we left. Oil level is the same as when changed and looks good. Didn't notice any metal in oil. Pulled the codes and nothing comes up, also checked inertial fuel switch. Any suggestions?:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I do hear a hum when the key is turned on. It doesn't run long though. I'll have to check it better tomorrow. Is the pump mounted on the frame rail? Could an oil pressure problem cause a no start condition. I don't want to crank it if there is no oil pressure. It seems there would have been signs leading up to an oil pressure problem.

The pump is located inside of the gas tank. The computer enables the pump to prime for a few seconds when you turn the key to the accessory position, then stops until the engine starts to turn over.

Thanks for the replies. I have some updates and it doesn't look good. Pulled all the plugs and the engine is defenitely getting fuel. Spark is good too. So the only thing left is compression. I checked compression on both sides and the drivers side is anywhere between 125-150 PSI, the passenger side is 0 on all passenger side cylinders. I'm a little dissapointed, a 2005 with 40,000 miles shouldn't be having an issue like this. It's been maintained perfectly. What are my options now? Is this an interference type engine, when the cam timing goes valves hit pistons. I'm assuming the engine will have to be pulled ragardless of whether or not it's repairable.:mad:

what kind of oil was used in the truck? That just sucks! hopefully you can get it fixed cheap.

I bought it used with 18000 miles, but the oil I used was synthetic 5w30. Mobil 1 intially, and then I switched to the supertech brand about 10000 miles ago. I've always used a motorcraft filter. I had it towed to the shop yesterday so I should here something from them tomorrow. I guess it couldn't hurt to contact Ford the powertrain warranty is only 3 yr 36000 miles. I doubt that I will ever buy another vehicle with the 4.0 sohc engine. I'll post an update when I hear from the shop.

it may be a timing chain or sprocket that failed... pull the valve cover off and turn crank by hand and see if the cam will spin.

timing chains should last 100,000 miles or more.

i don't think they're interference motors.

Thanks, I was 98% sure it was the rear timing chain that broke. The shop confirmed it today. I'm looking at $1390 to replace all the timing related parts, as well as fluids. That won't include anything else that got damaged in the carnage. They're going to start the tear down and order parts. should know more after that. Hopefully the heads and pistons didn't get damaged. They said they had another explorer in a while back with the same problem, and once running again it had a slight miss due to a bent valve. They also said it has real low miles for something like this to happen, I guess I'm just lucky.:confused:

Well numerous valves are bent, so I'm looking at least $2000 in repairs. Shop thinks the rear tensioner was faulty due to the engine having virtually no signs of wear. What a poor design. Now I have a 2 year old vehicle that I have very little faith in. I drive a superduty diesel that has given me zero problems for the past 5 years. I'm not saying the US auto makers don't make reliable vehichles, but I don't think they stand behind them like some of the foriegn companies. After the explorer is repaired I'm seriously considering selling it and moving on to something with a better track record.

Back